Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

Just talked to Hatteras and was told 20’9” waterline to the top of the arch. Gotta love it that they can and will provide that information. Unfortunately, that puts us smack dab in the middle of it maybe clearing.

I’m thinking it might make more sense to just wait until we’re a day out, and then pull the arch with everything attached and lay it on the aft bridge deck. It would be a heartbreaker to remove everything from the arch, only to find we’re 6” too tall. I’ll let Dave make that call.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I know a guy who did the exact same trip with a 60MY a few years ago. He had the arch hinged while in Florida for that very reason.

That boat is currently for sale in Montague, MI. If you look up the listing, there may be pics of how they did the hinge.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My air draft is about 20’ 6” waterline to my hard top. I have a hydraulic radar arch that lowers below my hard top. I am docked 1/2 mile west of the Csx railroad bridge in Brewerton. I make it under that bridge with normal water levels with about 8-12” to spare. That is the lowest bridge that you will have to clear. The other bridge that is close, is the pedestrian bridge in Oswego between lock 7 and lock 8. The canal controls the pool and can lower the water level in about 20 minutes if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I know a guy who did the exact same trip with a 60MY a few years ago. He had the arch hinged while in Florida for that very reason.

That boat is currently for sale in Montague, MI. If you look up the listing, there may be pics of how they did the hinge.
    I'll take a look, but I honestly can't see how it could be done without a LOT of work. The railing on the bridge aft of the arch would have to be removed, even if the arch was cut and had plates installed. It's a whole other animal compared to most.

If you have some way of contacting that guy who made the trip in a 60, I'd love to pick his brain.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Addie-Kat View Post
    My air draft is about 20’ 6” waterline to my hard top. I have a hydraulic radar arch that lowers below my hard top. I am docked 1/2 mile west of the Csx railroad bridge in Brewerton. I make it under that bridge with normal water levels with about 8-12” to spare. That is the lowest bridge that you will have to clear. The other bridge that is close, is the pedestrian bridge in Oswego between lock 7 and lock 8. The canal controls the pool and can lower the water level in about 20 minutes if need be.
    That makes me feel a bit better. Removing everything above the arch is something that shouldn't be that difficult compared to removing the arch. Guess we'll make the call the day before. Hopefully the water level will be "normal".
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yep, they cut the arch and installed plates. Great photo of the work, and it obviously just lays on top of the existing railing. With that, I have to wonder how much it really cut down on the clearance as the arch is not really that much taller than the windscreen.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...yacht-3238886/
    Last edited by Freeebird; 02-07-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Looking at that listing, Dave's boat is MUCH nicer. That galley up is... strange to say the least. Parking my ass on a counter top to drive a boat is not my idea of a good time. I could move that cooktop and give myself the Aunt Jemima treatment.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

For those who may be wondering about my Aunt Jemima comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOhhgrM3bs
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I have a friend that brought a 60'+ Viking up to Lake Champlain. He used a professional captain. In order to get under the fixed railroad bridge on the canal, They topped off the fuel and water tanks, filled the holding tanks and bought a bunch of kiddie pools that were placed on the decks and filled.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    bought a bunch of kiddie pools that were placed on the decks and filled.
    Easier to dispose of than my plastic barrels....

For entertainment value, and as a good illustration of "thinking outside of the box" there's this. (Yes I know it's a ragbote..... flame away )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay