Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Once I get this thing routed, we can have some mini HOF get togethers along the way.
    Oh that would be cool. You're within reach for me for a good chunk of it. We can use my van for a supply run if you need. Would love to meet.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Hear that, guys? Oscar is bringing a van load of beer!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Roger that second fridge has been ordered.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

you might want to unbolt everything while still at her home port in case there are some bolts or screws that wont let go. last thing you need is stripped bolts stopping you from making it under a bridge or two
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Hear that, guys? Oscar is bringing a van load of beer!
    I certainly can bring refreshments for you.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Now you are up in my neck of the woods Randy.&nbsp; You should be ok going up the Hudson to the erie canal, but make sure the locks are open.&nbsp; There has been unusually high water up here, the last few years,&nbsp; and it has affected marinas and docks with flooding problems, and no power.&nbsp; If the canal is open, you must exit at Oswego.&nbsp; You will never get under the bridge in Tonawanda NY. The max clearance is 15 ft.<br><br>&nbsp;Once you enter lake ontario, you will need to go through the welland Canal, which joins to lake Erie.&nbsp; Fees are approx $280<br>last time I went through, and you will need 3 crew on board.&nbsp; From there, west across Lake Erie, to Detroit river, into Lake St. Clair, and on to Lake huron.&nbsp; Northward, then west towards Macinac and top of lake michigan,&nbsp; Then across lake michigan, to Wisconcin, and Racine.<br><br>You will be travelling through some Very Big Cities ie NY City.&nbsp; Stay at Liberty landing on the new Jersey side, just north of the statue of liberty.&nbsp; Going up the Hudson is a wasteland.&nbsp; Stay on the river. Going to smaller towns off the river will get you grounded,as those creeks silt up pretty bad.<br><br>Erie canal is neat.&nbsp; Lot of towns offer free dockage at the town docks, especially east of oswego.<br><br>Once on Lake Ontario, the south shore is your best bet.&nbsp; No border problems.&nbsp; Oswego, Sotus Bay, Wilson NY are your best bets for mooring.&nbsp; Rochester is good too, but you cannot get down to the city because of the dam.&nbsp; The marina at the mouth of th Gennesee River is a good bet.&nbsp; This was the terminal for the Catamaran that used to run from Toronto to Rochester, but the good restaurants are downtown.&nbsp; You need to Uber.&nbsp; Stay away from St. Catherines unless you don't mind clearing Cdn Customs.&nbsp; If you do go there, St. Catherine marina is a good bet,&nbsp; Port Dalhousie on the other side of the river is full of great restaurants in the warehouse district up the hill.<br><br>Once on lake erie, stay on the south shore.&nbsp; Buffalo, Erie Penn, Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, all offer top notch marinas and restaurants. Once in lake huron, things get a little sparce,&nbsp; Get the Ports book fort the great lakes.&nbsp; Its 40 bucks, lots of pics and great info on moorings, marinas, stores and restaurants.&nbsp; Figure 2-3 weeks on the great lakes portion.<br><br>One more thing...When you get to the welland Canal, you will need to check in with the traffic manager.&nbsp; You will need to dock at the small ship slipway, about 1 mile north of the first lock, and call the traffic mngr on the phone provided.<br>He will come to the boat and discuss what you will have to do.&nbsp; Once he gives you the go-ahead, you cannot stop .&nbsp; Freighters take priority, and they are huge. So are the locks.&nbsp;<br>If the manager comes to you and his first name is George, say hello to him from me.&nbsp; Tell him Martin and Debra came through 5 years ago on a 41DC. He should remember us.&nbsp; He cleared the passage all the way through to Lake Erie, and we set an unofficial record (4.5 hr)&nbsp; Usually takes 8-12 hr.<br><br>Thats all I can think of right now.&nbsp; except have a safe trip.<br><br>mderlick<br><br>53 my jimmys girl<br>41dc francine 111

One more thing Randy. It is Cold. Watch out for ice, especially on Lake Huron north towards Tobermory. If it is a cold winter, the lakes will be 40-45 farenheit.

mderlick

Thanks for all your input, Marty. We’ll definitely do our homework and call ahead before we leave out.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    you might want to unbolt everything while still at her home port in case there are some bolts or screws that wont let go. last thing you need is stripped bolts stopping you from making it under a bridge or two
    That’s a good idea. We can do a practice drill and lube everything good to make it easier when it really counts. The way the arch is positioned would seem to make it virtually impossible to hinge without significant fiberglass work.

Guess I’ll call Hatteras and confirm the air draft as we couldn’t find it on the drawings/specs in the manual.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Guess I’ll call Hatteras and confirm the air draft as we couldn’t find it on the drawings/specs in the manual.
    If you want to be 1000% sure, get a laser level and measure it......

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laser+level&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay