Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Re: Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A trip up the St. Lawrence would be nice.
    I don’t remember the year I was pretty young the old man used to take me with him to his Power Squadron meetings. One of the meetings they had a slide show from one of the members trips pretty sure it was up the St Laurence seaway. Guy had a 30 something foot Owens. There were these railways that they had a cart and drug the boat over maybe 1/4 mile or so to the next section of canal. Any of that still exist?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I don’t remember the year I was pretty young the old man used to take me with him to his Power Squadron meetings. One of the meetings they had a slide show from one of the members trips pretty sure it was up the St Laurence seaway. Guy had a 30 something foot Owens. There were these railways that they had a cart and drug the boat over maybe 1/4 mile or so to the next section of canal. Any of that still exist?
    That's on the Trent-Severn. And, yes, its still there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Another interesting lift is the hydraulic lift lock in Peterborough, Ontario.
    We went in that one in our 52 CPMY. Tough trip with a 5 foot draft.

Well, the Stuart to Racine route is confirmed, and the East Coast option is out. Unless Okeechobee comes up by Saturday morning, we’ll head to the Keys and work our way up via the GOM and river system.

If all goes well, that should be about a three week run. The guessing begins when the saltwater ends. That’s when the locks and potential flood issues can mess up the best of guesstimations. Either way, it’s gonna be UGE!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Stay in touch, Bird. Take a few carrier pigeons along to send us messages. If things get rough, you can always roast them.

If the boat has AIS we could follow your trip.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

it does, Benedetto.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Bummer. As a result everyone will miss some of the best scenery there is to be had. I have never plotted the difference in miles and wonder if it will be a wash given you have to paddle up stream.
    Regards
    Dan

Bon voyage
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Bummer. As a result everyone will miss some of the best scenery there is to be had. I have never plotted the difference in miles and wonder if it will be a wash given you have to paddle up stream.
    The river route is shorter, but there is no denying the upriver parts can literally double your fuel use. Factor in all the river locks with massive potential for delays, and the time thing can get really close. Factor in flooding can and does close rivers, and it gets even more complicated.

The biggest factor here was the uncertainty with the Erie Canal and the Canadian border closing take the Welland out for pleasure boats. It's entirely possible that we could have been faced with a 30 day or more wait for either or both to open. I'm sure I've said that above someplace, but the river route is the best option in these strange times. No doubt the scenery is better on the other route, but unless you can reach your ultimate destination, that same scenery of being shut down at a dock would get real old and real expensive, real fast. Maybe next time.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93