Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

Going to be running Sadey’s 60MY to Racine via the east coast beginning late April/early May. I’m looking for suggestions for neat marinas/restaurants/attractions to visit along the way as the water above NYC is going to be new for me. Same with the stretch from Norfolk to Jersey as I’m thinking we’ll run outside beginning at Norfolk. No, that Chesapeake/Potomac Slamfest a few weeks ago isn’t influencing that decision. There just wasn’t that much to see, and outside at that point will be more direct.

I did get Dave and Trina’s permission/blessing to make this post as they would like to meet as many of you yahoo’s as possible along the way. Jim might even get another shot at taking me/them to dinner since things didn’t work out last time.

I’m thinking a lot of you follow the Hatteras Facebook page which is much more conducive for posting photos, but I/we will keep you posted here as well. We had a great 8 day cruise on Benedetto to get things started, so this promises to be an epic trip... even if we use both engines.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

That sounds like a cool trip! Don't have a lot of suggestions for you other than to get all the local knowledge you can get regarding the Jersey Shore. Them inlets can be tricky.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Stop in Elizabeth City ,NC and then up thru the Dismal Swamp Canal , It should be reopened by then,they are working on the lock gates .

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Stop in Elizabeth City ,NC and then up thru the Dismal Swamp Canal , It should be reopened by then,they are working on the lock gates .
    I was happy with the ICW route through NC a few weeks ago and don’t see changing that. I would like to show them Ocracoke and Hatteras, so we’ll probably go out Pamlico Sound vs the ICW. Looks like it may be too shallow to run there via Harker’s, but maybe somebody with local knowledge can chime in there.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I was happy with the ICW route through NC a few weeks ago and don’t see changing that. I would like to show them Ocracoke and Hatteras, so we’ll probably go out Pamlico Sound vs the ICW. Looks like it may be too shallow to run there via Harker’s, but maybe somebody with local knowledge can chime in there.
    Orcacoke took a big shot from Dorian. I assume if no slip was available you could anchor in silver lake.
    I can’t remember the name of the main marina there but look on active captain and give them a call to see if they are operational. Prior to the storm the park docks were OK but shore power was lousy. I think only 30 amp connections.

I'd stick with the ICW over the Dismal Swamp Canal, personally. I have heard it gets shallow in spots.

Happy to take y'all to dinner if we can match up schedules and arrivals etc. Have a good trip regardles.

We are local to Waterford, NY. Brought our new to us 43DC up from Baltimore last spring.

Something to note about the waters North, but especially WEST of NYC, is that you are of course subject to the canals season.

Last year, we left the dock in Maryland on May 19th, the day AFTER the Erie Canal was scheduled to open for the season.

It did not open for approximately another 3 weeks!

Our trip stops were as follows:

Day 1 - Schaeffer’s on the C&D Canal
    Day 2 - South Jersey Marina in Cape May
    Day 3 - Cape May, sitting out a windy day
    Day 4 - Hoffman’s at Manasquan
    Day 5 - Haverstraw Marina, a decent bit north of NYC
    Day 6 - Shady Harbor, 10 miles south of Albany

...Day 21 - Lock 1 Marina in Waterford.

If we can be of any assistance with anything when you make the trip, let me know, always cool to catch up with Hatteras people!

Also - happy to be a extra deck hands for the day going through the Flight of Locks.

Our boat is currently napping at Coeyman’s Landing Marina for the winter, to avoid being subject to the canal season at the beginning of the season, but we plan to move back to our permanent spot just on the other side of Lock 1 (Champlain, not Erie) once the canals do open.

Currently scheduled to open May 15th this year.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

The is a good spot in St Catharines to stop for the night before entering the welland canal if you have to wait. Also a great Italian restaurant a close uber away.
    St Catharines is east spot to clear customs if you do the run from Oswego without stopping.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Going to be running Sadey’s 60MY to Racine via the east coast beginning late April/early May. I’m looking for suggestions for neat marinas/restaurants/attractions to visit along the way as the water above NYC is going to be new for me. Same with the stretch from Norfolk to Jersey as I’m thinking we’ll run outside beginning at Norfolk. No, that Chesapeake/Potomac Slamfest a few weeks ago isn’t influencing that decision. There just wasn’t that much to see, and outside at that point will be more direct.

I did get Dave and Trina’s permission/blessing to make this post as they would like to meet as many of you yahoo’s as possible along the way. Jim might even get another shot at taking me/them to dinner since things didn’t work out last time.

I’m thinking a lot of you follow the Hatteras Facebook page which is much more conducive for posting photos, but I/we will keep you posted here as well. We had a great 8 day cruise on Benedetto to get things started, so this promises to be an epic trip... even if we use both engines.

One other thing to note other than the lock season dates. At that time of the year, there will be tons and tons of floating debris in the Hudson. Watch out for trees, poles, fences etc floating by. Years ago, when I bought my 56 MY in Michigan, we brought it back to New York that time of year. You could literally walk on the trees and poles floating in the Hudson.

What is the maximum air draft to get into the Great Lakes through the Erie Canal? Or is it not an issue?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987