Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wanted:MarQuipt seastairs or top step

I’m looking for a set of 19” SeaStairs in any size. Or a top step, I have a broken bolt and need to replace the entire top step. I plan on taking my 7-step unit apart to rebuild it so I can use yours for parts.
    Thanks!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Wanted:MarQuipt seastairs or top step

Look on eBay you will find both.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Always a good place to look for things. https://www.sailorman.com/consignment-listings.html#/
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I know about the ones on eBay and Sailorman, I just wanted to give the HOF a chance first to help out a member who needed to get rid of an old one. MarQuipt wants $525 for a new top step! The plan, if I can’t find a cheap donor stair, is to disassemble the whole thing, take the top step to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed and then reassemble with new plastic washers. Heck, if I can, I might even have it all re-anodized. I am thinking of doing this in Daytona this spring when we get back from the Bahamas. Anyone have a suggestion for a machine shop there?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    have a broken bolt and need to replace the entire top step
    A tig welder can't fix this?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It can once the bolt is removed. That’s how I had the bottom step repaired: took it to a machine shop to have a broken bolt removed, they damaged the hole getting it out, welded it up and drilled and tapped for new threads. I have no intention of drilling stainless steel by hand and trying to remove a frozen bolt with an EzeOut by hand. Not when it could be done in a Bridgeport mill.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I have the same issue with my stairs. I used a shorter bolt and two nuts so now the step sits on the nuts. I found with the proper amount of heat the bolts come right out, no heat and the bolt snaps.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I know about the bolts being installed with LocTite and plan on using my heat gun when disassembling, but in this case the bolt broke off in service. We woke up one morning to find the lower rail was no longer connected to the top step and that the missing bolt head had gone overboard. It had broken deep enough that I was able to use another bolt as a pin to reconnect the rail. It’s currently being held in place with duct tape! If I had an aircraft bolt with a drilled head I could use safety wire to hold it in place, but all I had was a marine stainless bolt so I used tape.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Always a good place to look for things. https://www.sailorman.com/consignment-listings.html#/
    I was in Sailorman yesterday.

They have it. It was either $75 or $125. I forget.

They have a bottom step with sockets for the casters, not the top one. That one has the lugs to attach to the boat and the place to attach the brace to keep the steps level as the tide goes up and down. I think I can make do with my temporary repair until we get back to the mainland, perhaps by then they’ll have new stock. If not there’s always Plan B: the machine shop.
    BTW, Sailorman has the absolute worst music for holding calls it has been my misfortune to hear. By my third call I had to beg the clerk not to put me on hold. A man from New York with a fake Irish accent introducing a fake Irish Sea chanty about Sailorman. It’s almost worth calling up to get put on hold to hear it in all it’s glorious awfulness!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht