Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Opinions on Taking Chances with a Big Move to get what I want

Mornin' All!

I've posted here in the past about my search for a nice 42-46 Convertible. Having owned many powerboats and two Hatteras's, I'm very specific as to what I'm looking for. I'm also incredibly picky and incredibly frugal (which don't always play so well together)!

Without going into too many details about what I'm looking for, I've learned that to find what you want, one can't just shop locally. I'm on the Chesapeake and just can't find what I want at a price I can afford. I've looked as far as Michigan and the Gulf of Mexico, but am starting to wonder how smart it is to go so far...and whether it's just better to pay-up. I realize this is a very open-ended and subjective question. Specifically, I'm looking at purchasing an older Hatteras, most likely with Detroits, in good repair, and on the Great lakes. That seems to be where the real beauties are. I"ve brought one boat home personally from the Lakes and had Capt. Dave bring one up from Florida, but I've been lucky in the past and had no problems.

I'm sure there are many "war stories" out there, but I'm looking for the wisdom of experience. Maybe Freebird may have some input.....I'm sure others as well. Currently looking at a unit that cannot get under the overheads on the Western Erie, so basically will need to take the long way through the lakes and canals. BTW...I just can't get the time to do this myself again. I've even considered dismantling and trucking, but don't really want to go that way.

Very simply....what kind of premium would you put on the trip? If you had to guess....without major problems.....a 13 to 15 day trip? 15K...20K? Are there any "exceptionally mechanical" captains out there on Detroits? I don't think Dave is still in the business. IYHO....is this crazy, or a reasonable plan? I am also eyeballing a member's boat that is closer but still on the Lakes and Canals.

Have fun with this one! Lot's of respect for this forum and it's members.

Re: Opinions on Taking Chances with a Big Move to get what I want

There are quite a few nice boats here on the Chesapeake that came from the Great Lakes. I wouldn't let that location stop you. It will cost more but from all I've ever seen it is well worth the cost and effort. Go for it.

fresh water boats are nice and can have less hours on them. but unless the lake boat is 20k less then a bay boat then the actual cost is more.if the bay boat is the same asking price has the lake boat but has some short coming for you, can that short coming be corrected for the 20k? can you find time on the return with the lake boat to enjoy a once in a life time vacation say in the thousand islands in Saint Lawrence or Georgian bay? that would help justify a 20k difference in cost?good luck in your choice

Sorry for the late reply as I had missed the honorable mention. It’s not that big a deal to shop outside your area. It may cost you a few bucks to get it home, but it’s minimal when you look at the overall cost of buying a boat and getting exactly what you want.

Besides, if you hire me, I’m cheap, and there’s a good chance I’ll make you famous.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Given the age of these boats it seems the best cared for examples are fresh water boats. Short seasons and due to the harsh weather most are kept inside during the winter. IMHO find the best condition boat you can find don’t worry about the mechanicals they can always be overhauled or replaced but a pig is a pig no matter how much lipstick you slather on it.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present