Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Shore power cable connectors protection...

I need some help on how best to protect or cover (other than stowing) the couplings on my shore power cables when they're disconnected. Does somebody make covers that can be screwed on or something similar?

Re: Shore power cable connectors protection...

What I do for this is to plug the cable into itself when it's not being used. I also spray the ends with WD40 every so often to make sure they aren't corroding. If you coil the cable up and plug it into itself, and secure it with a piece of line, it will generally stay as it's supposed to.

FWIW,

On day trips (read fishing trips), I put the end into a plastic grocery bag and tie a knot. Not that pretty but it is effective. It keeps the rain drops at bay. The idea about plugging the two ends together is great and a much cleaner look.

Marinco makes covers for just that purpose, Marinco item numbers KK30 30, KK5 50 and KK 30 50. They just screw onto the end. Look at page 484 of the Boaters World catalogue.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I knew I'd get great advice. So Marinco makes covers... perfect solution.