Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is anybody familiar with a 53 Hatteras 'ADRASTEIA'?

Looking for somebody who might know this boat and owner(s) past/present:
    1975 53 Hatteras 'ADRASTEIA'

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Mel

Re: Is anybody familiar with a 53 Hatteras 'ADRASTEIA'?

Last edited by melzer51; 02-07-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: The boat is located in the Bradenton Beach, FL area and might be on a public mooring.

Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    I was trying to upload a photo yesterday and finally was successful today. The 1975 Hatteras 53 with 871's (turbos) just might be on a public mooring. As you can see, it has a full length custom hardtop the full length of the bridge, covering the entire bridge deck. The owner had the hardtop installed with plans to setup electric solar panels but never made the installation. There is a spiral stair from the aft deck to the bridge. One of the 871's is tired and needs a rebuild, supposedly the other one has low hours. Listed at $125.....any thoughts?

I am retired and looking to live aboard and enjoy. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Mel

Not a fan of the hardtop but otherwise looks ok. Doing an in frame rebuild is roughly $25k. Have you been aboard?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I came through Bradenton Beach last week but didn't see it. I think it would have caught my eye as it's a tad different.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Not a fan of the hardtop but otherwise looks ok. Doing an in frame rebuild is roughly $25k. Have you been aboard?
    Not yet, but have studied extensive photos of the interior/exterior. The interior looks very good, with the original Hatteras woodwork intact, however, there is some wallpaper in the heads. I have been looking at a long list of stuff that was removed/replaced. From thru hulls and hoses to the entire cabin sole and many other items of work. All work was done by a boat yard to the tune of $80k plus, including the hardtop at $20k, almost $10k for the spiral stairs and the bridge perimeter enclosure with a bump-out at perimeter to accommodate the spiral stairs (starboard) and custom rails.

The engine room photos at first looked like a good detail job, unusually clean but after looking further, I saw some details that concerned me. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic and another who is a good commercial electrician. I have good contacts within all the construction trades, the perks after being in the carpentry trade and a commercial estimator with large scale projects.

I was drawn to the boat first because it's a Hatteras and second because of the spiral stairs. Climbing a ladder would be tough for me, COPD on O2 24/7 makes a nasty combination for ladders. I can make a spiral work better with a free hand.

Thanks,

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I came through Bradenton Beach last week but didn't see it. I think it would have caught my eye as it's a tad different.
    I hear you there....that hardtop is hard to miss!

thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel,I actually flew to Florida to see the boat in July and the price was 99,000.00. It was a wasted trip. A major project boat for sure. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Shell 46' View Post
    Hi Mel,I actually flew to Florida to see the boat in July and the price was 99,000.00. It was a wasted trip. A major project boat for sure. Tom
    Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that you had a wasted trip. Did you get to fire the motors at least? This is a prime example of why photos are not always reliable when it comes to these old boats.

Thanks to this website and the dedication of people like you who love these boats, it helps others in their pursuit of owning a Hatteras.

Thanks for your input....

Mel

Compared to the turd Freebird and I just looked at the pics make this one look like a prom queen. The top is fugly but if your going to use it for a live aboard and sit up there the shade would be a big relief in the summer sun. It would be interesting to hear from the guy that saw it what the issues were.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present