Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Staircase / Laundry Project 56MY

The laundry machines gave up the ghost, so it was time for a change. Had to remove the old unit with a sawz-all, but once committed it didn't take that long. As I contemplated the replacements, the configuration was in need of some updating. So, why not change the riser heights in the galley steps while I have it torn apart..... A 10" riser is more like a ladder than a stair case and with a little effort I figured I could reduce the riser height to a more normal 8" and save my aging knees.

I should mention Freebird has told me I'm nuts and I should just drive the boat. I am sure he is right, but old habits die hard.

This thread will track the progress of this project.

This first picture is the laundry space with the machine removed.

The second picture is the template built to copy the shape of the staircase. As you can see, the carpeted steps had to go. If I was going to all that work, may as well make the easier to navigate.

The third image is the carpet stripped and the salon sole cut back to accommodate an extra step in the flight. As you can see, the laundry cabinet top, and the laundry light are tucked into this space. Sooooo.......they got to go.
    Attached Images
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: Staircase / Laundry Project 56MY

Next stage of the demo is to remove the laundry doors, built in overhead cabinet, laundry light, and open the space up to accept the new risers and treads.

This next picture is the space opened up to the right dimensions. Second and third picture is the laundry space sans the overhead cabinet.

I haven't decided to whether to build in place, or to use my template to build in the shop and drop in place. Probably the latter, but we'll see.
    Attached Images
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Can't figure out what the 1.5" PVC pipe running horizontal is for. It looks like it heads to the genny room, but I can't find it from the other side. Since the riser profile is changing the curved wood in the staircase is going to require some fixin, but I won't know how much until all the stair are removed. Probably will steam bend 1/4" ~ 3/8" material for stair skirt to hide the carnage.

I have not decided whether to use Mahogany or Maple (stained to match the Afrormosia). We have dogs and I can envision them scratching the heck out of the softer Sapele. Plus I would have to run all the moldings myself as I haven't found a good Mahogany molding supplier yet.

If anyone has any supplier contacts for moldings, that would help.

The treads will have inserts routed out of the tread to hold non-skid and the bull nose will be dadoed to hold LED stair lights.

As always, I covet the opinions of the brain trust here on the forum. You can't hurt my feelings (I don't have any), so don't hold back. Much easier to fix on paper before installation. I'll keep posting the progress.

cheers
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Ambitious project for sure.... sounds like you have the carpentry skills to do it... best of luck!

Thanks for sharing!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Is the PVC a waste line headed to the fwd tank?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The PVC pipe on my boat was a empty conduit from starboard engine room to generator space.
    I used it to thread replacement master head pump discharge line to holding tank.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Yes the 1.5 in pvc is a empty conduit, a handy thing when you need it. We replaced the carpet with sapele mahogany steps as all our upper areas are sapele . You’re right it scratches very easily. Grand dog wears shoes when she visits. You are doing a very ambitious project, can’t wait to see it finished.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Trying to decide what type of down spot to use as the laundry light. Am going to replace all the overheads with 3" down spots, something in the 3~4,000 kelvin range. Question is, got some 120v LED lights, mogul base, from Home Depot, a Phillips lamp, recommended on the forum. Replaced all my 32v incandescent, and while not super bright, they were bright enough.

So I guess my question; is their and advantage to using a step down transformer from 32v to 24v and buying marine fixtures, or should I just use 120v fixtures? I see some have purchased Juno JSFSQ 7.77 and removed the transformer from the fixture. I am a neophyte regarding electricity and don't want to burn down the dock, so any guidance would be appreciated.

thx
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Let me know when it’s time for me to tell you I told you so.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

No one has an opinion on the LED down spot?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"