Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Questions about overboard black water pump

I’ve decided to replace the GM pump with a 24v Sealand. I have a 30a 30/60v to 24v buck converter onboard. My favorite boatyard, Lamb’s in Jax, will put together a kit with hose, clamps and adapters to make it all fit. There was a pump in Nassau, but it was $750 for the pump alone plus extras. I’ll have it shipped to Staniel Cay. Hopefully it will go out on Monday and maybe arrive on Friday. Someone with more experience in the Bahamas could give a better estimate. Supposedly with our cruising permit we won’t have to pay import duty.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

If you have it shipped to Makers Air at Ft Lauderdale executive it should clear in duty free in Andros. They ll need the invoice made out with the boat name and a copy of your cruising permit. I ve had parts shipped to Staniel that way. Makers Air is very helpful. Your pump should be in Staniel within 24 hours of Being delivered to them in FTL

In the past Sealand use to sell their 24v for use on either 24v or 32v. Check with them.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal. I was hoping to get the benefit of your experience. That’s the way we will go then: via Makers Air. We are still a week out of Staniel so it should work out.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Final report: we tested the Sealand 24v black tank pump last night and it worked great. In the end I decided to return to Nassau to source the pump for the simple reason that it was much easier to obtain all the hoses, fittings and clamps needed as well as the materials and stainless hardware I needed to fabricate a new mount for a different pump. Despite the higher charge for the pump it all was a wash cost wise vs paying a boatyard to run around JAX getting the misc parts and then shipping it all to The Bahamas.
    Thanks for all the help and advice, we will be using the Makers Air service in future if we ever need anything not available locally. That’s a good resource to know about.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

KRIPES! For the first time in a long time I am going to agree with Frenchy! The SeaLand diaphragm pump is the most reliable way to go. When the tank is empty, youll here BLUB,BLUB from outside the hull below the water line. It just pushing air out at that point and the tank is empty (or the pick-up pipe is broken). ALL 3 heads on the 1974 58TC were direct discharge with sea water flush. Never updated. I dont know how the PO got away with that so long (1986). Theres an 85 gallon BW tank under the sole in the V berth that was used for extra fuel. That got the conversion with a "Y" valve and the SeaLand pump. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults