Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Updating salon/cabin lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Did ll the work ourselves, for the dimmers we ended up with Blue Seas.

All of the lights we ended up replacing were installed around 2000, including new wiring, switches and dimmers, transformers.
    I'm thinking the transformers put out AC voltage, not DC.
    All of the new fixtures are DC.
    Some we have running on power supplies, some on DC from the house bank.
    We tried to get as many as we could over to the DC house bank so they would always work.
    At the least we have some lighting in every room from both AC and DC sources.

We got lucky on purchasing most of the fixtures.
    Bathroom fixtures are non dimming from Imtra closeout sale
    Bedrooms and hall fixtures from Quick Marine closeout sale
    Salon from Defender, needed bigger diameter fixtures unavailable from Quick.
    Thank you, I appreciate the info, it looks like I am going to either just stay with the halogens, or replace all of them. Did you pull down the headliner to redo wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredup62 View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate the info, it looks like I am going to either just stay with the halogens, or replace all of them. Did you pull down the headliner to redo wiring?
    In my case, I was able use a fish tape to get it done with headliner in place.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    In my case, I was able use a fish tape to get it done with headliner in place.
    Gotcha, that could work, but boy would that be time consuming with the numbers of lights present.

Some leds are compatible with dimmers. It may be hit or miss. I ve recently installed LED rope lights and they work with standard dimmers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

i used imtra replacement led's that fit in the halogen g4 housing, they have worked perfect for about 5 years now. ialso added dimmers where the switches were, the dimmers switch has to be made for led's i did have to replace one dimmer last year. dont remember the brand of dimmer but it came from either 1000 bulbs .com or superbright led's.co. they are a slide dimmer with a rocker switch below the slide, they fit into standard household boxes. this was on a 12v system
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Used these as halogen direct replacements with existing dimmers. 12v monster lighting.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Wiredup, used the wiring that was new in 2000, all of the fixtures use only 2 wires, some LED fixtures need a 3rd wire for the dimmer.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

marinebeam in charleston sc makes plug and play replacements for the legacy Hatts in 32 volt. call them. they can save you a LOT of time with bulbs that won't fail.
    the website isn't fabulous for getting the correct item for your use, so I suggest calling.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

If you currently have 24v lighting why not just change out the lights for Imtra units. It might cost a lot but at least you will have a decent product, more light, and no heat. You can fool around with a bunch of Chinese bulbs and crap but it will end up just being a pain in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    If you currently have 24v lighting why not just change out the lights for Imtra units. It might cost a lot but at least you will have a decent product, more light, and no heat. You can fool around with a bunch of Chinese bulbs and crap but it will end up just being a pain in the long run.
    Made where?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC