Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Updating salon/cabin lighting

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    marinebeam in charleston sc makes plug and play replacements for the legacy Hatts in 32 volt. call them. they can save you a LOT of time with bulbs that won't fail.
    the website isn't fabulous for getting the correct item for your use, so I suggest calling.
    Thank you, yes, marinebeam is a great company, I had ordered some bulbs from them, but weren't the 28v. I think I will call them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i used imtra replacement led's that fit in the halogen g4 housing, they have worked perfect for about 5 years now. ialso added dimmers where the switches were, the dimmers switch has to be made for led's i did have to replace one dimmer last year. dont remember the brand of dimmer but it came from either 1000 bulbs .com or superbright led's.co. they are a slide dimmer with a rocker switch below the slide, they fit into standard household boxes. this was on a 12v system
    Not sure those will work with a 28vac system, will definitely look them up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Wiredup, used the wiring that was new in 2000, all of the fixtures use only 2 wires, some LED fixtures need a 3rd wire for the dimmer.
    Lets say I have 20 fixtures in the salon. They are currently on a dimmer switch, but have 2 wires going to them. So, if I switch them out to LED, I believe I would need to run a 3rd wire, but I guess that's what I am trying to find out. The right way to do this is to change the whole system out, but that involves dropping headliners, and changing the fixtures, transformers, switches, and wiring. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    If you currently have 24v lighting why not just change out the lights for Imtra units. It might cost a lot but at least you will have a decent product, more light, and no heat. You can fool around with a bunch of Chinese bulbs and crap but it will end up just being a pain in the long run.
    It looks like all the Imtra lights are DC, my transformers are 28vac. I think I would at least have to change out the transformers, add a converter, and possibly the wiring. But, not being an electrician, I am not sure.

I am thinking about trying to replace the current transformers with LED drivers that convert 110vac to 12vdc, then replacing the bulbs with LED. That might solve all issues. Not sure how many I need, but marinbeam and amazon have them.
    [h=1]https://store.marinebeam.com/ac-to-d...0vac-to-12vdc/[/h]

Anyone here remember the original square light fixtures or have the original square light fixtures that were a metal box with a frosted glass/aluminum frame cover? The covers were held in place with a pair of machine screws that went thru snap-on clips on the box, but were removable. Any idea what the little clips are called or what to search under?
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

How many do you need? I may have some spare fixtures to rob them off of.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI