Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Updating salon/cabin lighting

I have researched this to death, but as the technology is constantly changing, I figured I would throw out this common question. I have a 2008 hatt GT 60. Was done right before everything switched to LED. So, I have 24-28vdc halogens throughout the boat. They produce a ton of heat, and aren't very bright. Has anyone done a successful upgrade to LED that is relatively inexpensive and easy DIY?

I tried the replacement LEDs that fit into the existing puck fixture, but all blow quickly as the voltage isn't right. Even the 12v replacements don't work as these are 24v. So, can I use the existing wiring, just change out the transformers, then use plug and play LEDs? Do I have to pay to have an electrician change out the whole system? Or just deal with it, and if so, where have you found a good place to get those kind of halogens? I have found I need the 24-28v bulbs as the 24 along still blow quickly.

Link to the site I found that has the kind of bulbs I have been looking at
    https://www.bulbtown.com/G4_Bi_Pin_B...how=120&page=1

Re: Updating salon/cabin lighting

How is the 24v supplied and controlled? What voltage is at the switch? 12v Led fixture and or replacement bulbs supplied 12v should very reliable.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    How is the 24v supplied and controlled? What voltage is at the switch? 12v Led fixture and or replacement bulbs supplied 12v should very reliable.
    this is what's in the manual

b.jpg

I ve bought quite a few from amazon. Some better than others. It s bit of a pain to search because you have to look at each time to find the voltage range. The last batch I bought is no longer available but they were AC-DC 12 to 30 volts which is more than enough in a 24v system
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Do you know the brand and model of the fixtures?
    Maybe there's a direct replacement that's LED??????
    Think the photo from the manual is just for the bulb.

We played around with various LED replacements that fit into the halogen fixtures with some success but never could get the dimming correct, even with trying other power supplies and or dimmer switches.
    Gave up and ended up with all new fixtures.
    Imtra in the salon and the entire down below from Quick Marine.

Amazing how much less heat the LED's produce compared to halogen.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

We played around with various LED replacements that fit into the halogen fixtures with some success but never could get the dimming correct, even with trying other power supplies and or dimmer switches.

Any chance you have part numbers or links to the fixtures you used? We've got a pile of the 1" (ish) halogen puck fixtures I'd love to convert over to led. We tried led bulbs in them with little/no success.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Unfortunately I don't, most of them came from Ebay and then a website that no longer exists. It's also probably been at least 3 years since messing with those.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

The halgen G4 is really all the info you need to cross reference.... here's a few choices based on a very quick search...

https://www.amazon.com/Bonlux-Side-Pin-LED-Puck-Light/dp/B07GPHHMQL/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=g4+led+bulb+24v&qid=158015601 9&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/JAUHOFOGEI-10-Pack-Daylight-Replacement-Lighting/dp/B07783YWQP/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=g4+led+bulb+24v&qid=158015615 0&sr=8-16

https://www.amazon.com/Aileming-Crystal-Silicone-Brightness-DC12-24V/dp/B07R68SD89/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=g4+led+bulb+24v&qid=158015619 6&sr=8-19

If you want dimmable. then you might need to search a little more...

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

I know there is an issue with dimmers and halogen replacements, so I believe the transformers need to be replaced. I was hoping not to have to go with imtra as they are expensive (and I have probably 30 or 40 lights), but may be the best option. Did you change them out yourself? Did you use the existing 28vac or whatever you have wiring?

Did ll the work ourselves, for the dimmers we ended up with Blue Seas.

All of the lights we ended up replacing were installed around 2000, including new wiring, switches and dimmers, transformers.
    I'm thinking the transformers put out AC voltage, not DC.
    All of the new fixtures are DC.
    Some we have running on power supplies, some on DC from the house bank.
    We tried to get as many as we could over to the DC house bank so they would always work.
    At the least we have some lighting in every room from both AC and DC sources.

We got lucky on purchasing most of the fixtures.
    Bathroom fixtures are non dimming from Imtra closeout sale
    Bedrooms and hall fixtures from Quick Marine closeout sale
    Salon from Defender, needed bigger diameter fixtures unavailable from Quick.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns