Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jack Sardina aka Saltshaker

Any one know why Jack Sardina also known as Saltshaker, has stopped posting on the forum?

It has bee about 2 years since I talked to him. He had a 65 convertalbe similar to mine, and I used to pick his brain on technical issues. I sent him several PM's but no joy.

Just curious if any body here know him personally.

Thanks,
    Tim

Fish Tales
    65C

Re: Jack Sardina aka Saltshaker

If I recall correctly, Jack no longer owns his Hatteras and is out of boating for now.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Thanks for the update, hopefully it was elective not necessary.

Either way he is very happy, or severely depressed.

Thanks for the update.

Any one else here with a 65 convertible?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Fish Tales
    65C

Not yet but I'm kicking tires in two weeks. I hope to be going bigger in the next year to a year and a half. I will be needing to pick your knowledge.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Not yet but I'm kicking tires in two weeks. I hope to be going bigger in the next year to a year and a half. I will be needing to pick your knowledge. Walt Hoover
    I’m hurt.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Not yet but I'm kicking tires in two weeks. I hope to be going bigger in the next year to a year and a half. I will be needing to pick your knowledge.

Walt Hoover
    I looked at 55's and 65's. Fell in love with the 65 open bridge. Did not want the enclosed. Did not feel like a sporty. Friend of mine has the 65 enclosed, and keeps it beside me. I think we are the only ones on here with 65's.

If you need info, we can help. This is my third Hatt. 41c for over 20 years, 45c for 3 years, and now this one.

Good luck tire kicking,

Tim
    Fish Tales
    65C

I did not mean to hurt you Mr. Clarkson, its just when you are ready to present Aslan to the next owner it will be perfect and I would have nothing do but show it off and make all my dock neighbors envious. Also the pressure from the HOF group to keep up your standards may be too much to bear.

My apologies,
    Walt Hoover

There are three I want to look at, all enclosed as that is the type of cruising we want to do. I don't see any fishing happening. I'm not a motor yacht guy either as I like to run a bit faster at times. There is one in Marathon but with 7500 hour MTUs I don't think its a wise choice for me.

Walt Hoover

Well,,,,,,

Mine has the 7000 hour MTU Engines. Met a mechanic from MTU told me these are 24,000 hour motors, serviced them in the coast guard. Just keep up service and and valves adjusted. I have a detroit mechanic in FT Pierce that helps me with servicing my motors. Tells me the same thing. He prefers these over the 12v and 16v Detroits.

These are 4 strokes, so alot quieter. Also underwater exhaust so really quiet under way. 1800 turns, 23 knots. wide open 30+ knots. Hull speed around 11. She loves 14 knots, no vibrations, feels like I am being towed.

At idle, 7 knots, 4-5 gallons per hour. Not bad for 105 thousand pounds.

Parts are not as bad as they used to be, told a starter is 8 grand. No, found 1 in Clearwater for 1500.00. Also the raw water pumps are huge. Had both rebuilt for under 3 thousand. All MTU parts. Not aftermarket.

With these motors, I have great egress on all four sides, Detroit boats are a little tight.

I have put over 500 hours on the motors since I bought the boat, no major issues. So far, economical and dependable.

This is just me,
    Other opinions will vary.

PM me if you want, or ask and I will give you my number.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fish Tales
    65C

Thanks for the info. Now I'm thinking a drive down to Marathon may be worth while. This will be taking place the second week of February. I be in touch through pm.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover