Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Saloon wall mirrors

My 86 43DC is coming alone nicely. The project now is to remove the full wall mirrors in the salon because the silver backing is peeling. Doesn't appear to be made for removal. Any ideas short of tape and a hammer??

Re: Saloon wall mirrors

Years ago mirrors were glued on to the walls. They put big dab of adhesive in numerous spots. Your tape and hammer idea will me the only way I know. Don’t forget safety glasses and good leather gloves. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I was able to drive a putty knife behind mine and pry it off in pieces. But, yes, tape it up good first. It had big spots of adhesive holding it on. I was able to peel those off as well and actually refinish the wood. You wouldn't know there was ever a mirror there now.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks men! I figured as much. I'll take my time and be safe. Envision customizing a nice bookcase to replace the mirrors.

Sky, you are lucky that you have a Hatteras, every time I do a project that involves the wood veneer that is on these boats I am thankful that it is so thick and can be sanded. Lots of boats I see the veneer is paper thin while on our boat it seems to be at least 1/32 of an inch thick. Just surveyed a 70 foot Ocean Alexander and the veneer in a number of places was bubbled up and peeling off, have never seen that on the Hatt unless it was soaking wet. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

If I ever do this again, the mirror stays and the covering goes over it.
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313

Your obviously not superstitious.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Success! really only 1/2 hour job. Lots of tape large bladed spackle knife and an old long bladed fillet knife (no hammer) using the 2 knives I was able to slide them behind the mirrors, then I was able to 'pop' the bond , only 10 pieces of mirror if it wasn't for the dabs of tar i could have gotten panels out in one piece. Very happy we'll see what a heat gun will do in cleaning the tar and globs of construction glue. I'll let you know how that goes..

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Your obviously not superstitious.
    Mine obviously had a different kind and amount of glue

(Evidently: YMMV)
    Last edited by dcate; 01-29-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313