Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Detroit Mechanic recommend around Pompano Beach

I’m looking for a cheap but expert Detroit mechanic. No I’m not, I know better. I’ve just relocated to Pompano Beach and I need a Detroit mechanic to help with a 12-71 that’s blowing black smoke. Only the port motor, bottom is clean, air seps cleanhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/CNgUpxfHJ5dykkr79
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: Detroit Mechanic recommend around Pompano Beach

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I’m looking for a cheap but expert Detroit mechanic. No I’m not, I know better. I’ve just relocated to Pompano Beach and I need a Detroit mechanic to help with a 12-71 that’s blowing black smoke. Only the port motor, bottom is clean, air seps cleanhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/CNgUpxfHJ5dykkr79
    Checked the flapper?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Might want to remove the air filters and confirm the turbos are spinning freely. Could be a lot of things.

I used Hall Engine Company for my Detroit’s and my Cats. Robert Hall is owner. I have had good experiences with him. 954-604-1263
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Well, today’s findings are extremely perplexing and full of suck!!!! It came to my attention the fwd blower tube had oil on the top of it. Further investigation found a flapper bolt out, just sitting in the grove it mounts in. After installing it checking the remainder of the bolts found two on the front and one bolt in the back flappers that are stripped. Other than tapping new heli-coils in, any advise?https://photos.app.goo.gl/AAKJ2WRUNkX82Ejv7

This may sound simple but did you try throwing a fresh bolt in there and seeing if it took to the point you could tighten it down? My experience with old bolts is that sometimes they bugger up and a fresh one is the solution. Other than that I would god with a fresh tap and possibly the helicoil.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Well, today’s findings are extremely perplexing and full of suck!!!! It came to my attention the fwd blower tube had oil on the top of it. Further investigation found a flapper bolt out, just sitting in the grove it mounts in. After installing it checking the remainder of the bolts found two on the front and one bolt in the back flappers that are stripped. Other than tapping new heli-coils in, any advise?https://photos.app.goo.gl/AAKJ2WRUNkX82Ejv7
    For a mechanic I recommend Jack Dibella with Marine Diesel Engineering, 954 260 5250For the stripped threads, see if the assembly will take a longer bolt that might reach past the damaged threads into a section that will hold. Has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the recommends fellas, I’ll update the results

Interestingly enough, each of the three striped bolts are different lengths. I was able to replace the shortest with the next length bolt, torqued to specs. Dug through my collection and found a 5" bolt, 3/4" longer than the stripped one and got it torqued to specs but had to use a 1/4" spacer. Those two happen to be in the front blower intake so the fwd unit is fixed, the rear unit is a little more problematic, the longer bolt won't tighten down so I'll likely pull it and research another option.