Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Replacing my electric stove/oven with a LP combo

OK,
    Did a search for this before posting... My original princess stove combo took a crap about a year ago. Bought a used one that ended up being smaller and it crapped out last week.. Thinking of replacing it with an LP combo. Dimensions are 20X20X24 .... Closest I've found so far is this. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...208&id=2459377.(have found the same unit on other sites that are cheaper, just using this one as an example Might be a silly question, but they all are gimballed units. Is it simply a job of cutting off the gimball to make it fit? I'm still looking at all options, LP, electric and whatever but know there's a wealth of knowledge on this site.
    Last edited by Jaxfishgyd; 01-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Replacing my electric stove/oven with a LP combo

I'd like to know where you intend to located the Propane tank?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

3. Re: Replacing my electric stove/oven with a LP combo

Saw one boat who mounted the tank up top by the built in seating (my thought too)And saw a pic of one where the owner put it in the cabinet between the V berths with a vent hole going out the side of the boat. The licensed tech who will be doing it says either one is 'doable'. Course just putting in another electric one would be the easiest way to go...
    Last edited by Jaxfishgyd; 01-25-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Don't put the tank inside the boat. Propane is dangerous enough without doing that.

It can be done safely. Sniffers, solenoids, vented cabinets etc. etc. Personally I will never have propane on a boat. No schlepping bottles, and if it's not there it can't blow up. Period. I certainly won't put it below decks, don't care HOW you install it. Induction cook top with a cast iron pan is what I have in my Moho. When it breaks throw it out and buy a new one. Installs in minutes, great to cook on.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I bought a Gaggenau oven that will fit in the space the current oven. It's a side opening unit just like the original, same width, and only slightly taller. This isnt the exact model, but close.My original unit still works fine, but I'm ready when it fails.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 01-25-2020 at 07:02 PM.

I would never use propane on a boat. Period. I ve seen the effect of a propane explosion years ago...

Afaik induction requires stable frequency which may be an issue on generator. I have a glass cook top which works great, clean etc. for one I have GE convection / microwave / hood which works just like a regular oven although it takes a little longer to brown... but it does brown and broil

We have one of the 84 lazzara I run, along with a full size oven. I use the GE Microwave/convection most of the time on charter and we put out some pretty good food...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Look at regulations for propane system installation on a boat, the storage locker must be vented and have a drain in the bottom, which would be hard to do below decks. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Even high-end RV's have gone away from propane. They will advertise "all electric" as that is preferred for safety reasons. And those that do have propane have those detection systems. Now you've got even more work to add one of those. Its just not worth it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Can not understand why you would introduce a more dangerous stove, and the fuel that goes with it?

Replace the eletric stove with an electric stove.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY