Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Replacing butt splices with handshakes

or these...I like more better, but cost a bit more

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Replacing butt splices with handshakes

If I had an order of preference....

Terminal strip with forked connectors. Allows for very easy testing/diagnosing. Fairly easy removal/replace of faulty component. Downside is it's a little on the exposed side, easy to splash with saltwater, have a tool come in contact, multiple wires on the same post get dicey and have to use jumpers that are easy to use with good access, but a pita where you can't reach with two hands.

Butt splice connectors with adhesive shrink jackets. Water Tight, lasts forever, but impossible to diagnose issues with multi-meter. Not super easy to replace, but not bad either. Sucks cutting a connection for testing only to find out the connection was fine.

Deutsh Connector - water tight, easy plug/unplug to install new device, but requires special tools to add/remove the connectors to the device. Also, the most costly solution.

Those handshake connectors, never used them but they don't look bad. I'd have to play with them some before I felt comfortable with them.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL