Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing butt splices with handshakes

Is it acceptable to replace existing butt splices on 32v bilge pumps and float switches with handshakes covered with heat shrink? I have spare pumps and being able to quickly swap them in could be a Good Thing.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Replacing butt splices with handshakes

I don't knw the answer but I'll admit that I had to Google "handshake" connectors!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

They are very useful, if permitted I could rework all the pumps and keep the spares ready to go. We used them in flight test for sensors that were frequently removed for calibration. Otherwise the leads got shorter and shorter as you R&Rd them. We used to hold them together with a tie wrap or cover them with heat shrink since they can come apart with vibration. The ones with heat shrink never came apart no matter what, the tie wraps were only temporary since UV would make them brittle over time.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I prefer using a terminal strip located as high as possible. It allows for way testing
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

They look useful, but I think there are plug connectors that would do the same thing. A plug connector with heat shrink tubing would be very secure and you could still cut the tubing with a razor knife and get it apart. For something you know you're going to have to replace sooner or later, I'd rather have the terminal strip. That also allows you to check the circuit without taking anything apart.

I have terminal blocks near all pumps.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Get a dry box and use these Wago snap/splice connectors: https://www.wago.com/us/c/wire-splicing-connectors

Or terminal strips like picture below. I suggest putting ferules on everything.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Just so I understand. You run the float switch wires and the pump leads to the terminal strip and make the connection there. I have one Rule float switch to change out and a Super switch to add to a pump. I have been concerned about making those new connections near the water level.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Get a dry box and use these Wago snap/splice connectors: https://www.wago.com/us/c/wire-splicing-connectors

Or terminal strips like picture below. I suggest putting ferules on everything.

That's what I grew up with in Holland. "Crown stones" we called them. All the way up to 240V in light fixtures etc. You can cut them to any size you want and you can screw them down. Do it right and have the wires overlap so EACH has two screws pressing down on it. Very very low failure rate. Every time I go over there I grab a hand full at the hardware store for a few bucks.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I'd recomend pre terminated fork connections for the screw terminals. That way you dont need to look for the screws in the bilge.

I use ring terminals most often as they hold up best. Always a 3m shrink version with the proper ratchet lock crimping tool.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.