Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who knows about BEVIN built DD's

I stumbled upon these beauties today!8v92 B.jpg
    I am told they are 8V96's! a custom Detroit built by Jack Bevins of Stuart FL now past. I have read a little bit about them, but the highlight are that a change in the crank shaft, timing, and exhaust push rods drove the HP up to 880, and increased Horsepower per gallon of fuel burned from 18 to 21.5. I do not know what that means exactly, but seems very good. If I can work it out, I would love to replace my tired 12v 71's with these old school hot rod engines, and not push the hell out of them.

Would love to hear if you ran them, or what if you know any thing else about them.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: Who knows about BEVIN built DD's

Stick with your 12v71's
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Most of Jack Bivens engines were put in Florida built custom sportfish boats and some repowers, that was a long time ago. Those boats were all easy to push and super light from builders like Monterey, Smith, Garlington, American, etc..
    Those same builders were the first to install the MAN's and they were pretty much bullet proof in the light weight boats, v12 @ 800hp. MAN's problems started when they raised the HP and then started putting them in harder to push heavier boats like Viking and Hatteras.
    There's lots of custom parts on those engines as well as various settings/timings. Not sure if there's anyone that could work on them anymore and there's probably no way to get those custom parts.
    You do realize they are bored out 92 blocks with custom liners for just 32 more cubic inches per engine.

If you're going to go through the trouble/expense of a repower modern reliable 2 stroke engines that make a lot of HP probably make much more sense, CAT C18 @ 1000hp might work.
    Last edited by Cricket; 01-24-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cost of a CAT C18 1000hp engine ?

An arm and a leg. Maybe throw in an eye.

I would stick with your existing engines. I can't think of a better recipe for a bad outcome than putting in engines that are 1) built by someone no longer in business? 2) hotrodded with parts you can't get now 3) not the most reliable form of the DDs 4) have to be custom fit into you r boat

If you want to go faster, invest (a fortune) in a modern repower. Better yet, maintain what you have, and use your boat a lot, because for the price of a modern repower, you can buy truckloads of fuel, oil and spares.

Thanks for the input, and advice. I appreciate what you all have to say.

My goal is not speed, but fresh engines. I would love to stumble upon some newly rebuilt 12 v 71 near me for similar money. Fact is I could rebuild what I have now for close to the same money as having these installed. One brought up the point about unique obsolete parts, I have that now with Capital gears. The Bivens engines have Twin Disk gears. The shafting would not need replacing, and the props could be updated to deal with the extra 220 HP.

Has anyone on this site ever run Bivens before?I am sure there are a number of J&T folks or Covington owners, was just hoping to find a Bivens owner.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    Thanks for the input, and advice. I appreciate what you all have to say.

My goal is not speed, but fresh engines. I would love to stumble upon some newly rebuilt 12 v 71 near me for similar money. Fact is I could rebuild what I have now for close to the same money as having these installed. One brought up the point about unique obsolete parts, I have that now with Capital gears. The Bivens engines have Twin Disk gears. The shafting would not need replacing, and the props could be updated to deal with the extra 220 HP.

Has anyone on this site ever run Bivens before?I am sure there are a number of J&T folks or Covington owners, was just hoping to find a Bivens owner.
    I thought you had V-drives on that boat. Are you sure those could handle any more horsepower?

Plus, if you repower with anything other than the 12v71's, then you have to change exhaust, instrumentation, maybe even battery cables, fuel lines, etc. as those may all need to be routed differently. In frame rebuild will always be cheaper than removing/replacing.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 01-26-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

9. Re: Who knows about BEVIN built DD's

Those engines are sitting on pallets for a good reason. Are they zero time units with warranties?

There is nothing wrong with well maintained Capitol gears.

I briefly considered those engines a year and a half ago. They've been for sale at least that long. I declined for the same reasons listed here. Common sense prevailed, and I opted for a pair of 12v71s. I do wish Pier 77 would do more wheeling and dealing. Lots of goodies in that warehouse.
    Joshua1985 60C #379SCYLLAGalveston, Tx