Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Naiad Stabilizer Cooling

Naiad 252 stabilizers on a 1986 63 MY. The wiring and cooling hoses installation looks like original Hatters
    work. However, DDs were replaced with CATs in early 90's, so re-work may have happened.

Sorry, "Stabilizer Cooling". The cooling water for the stabilizers is supplied by a 120v AC pump that works fine. For times underway
    when AC power is off, there is a 32v water pump plumbed in to the same seacock and feeding the same line.
    The power cables for the AC and DC pumps exit a generic grey box mounted on bulkhead. When off AC,
    trying to figure out how to energize the DC pump??? I have found no on/off switch and thought it might happen in
    the grey box. I have neither tested the dc pump or opened the grey box.

Not a serious issue, as I have a 4kw inverter that can provide AC when generator is not running underway.
    Looking for any insight of how Hatteras may have approached this before I dig in.

John McCarley
    Water Colors 63 Hatteras MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC
    Last edited by divert00; 01-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.

2. Re: Naiad Stabilizer Colling

Ditch the pumps and use raw water picked off from the main engines.

Re: Naiad Stabilizer Cooling

Original setup was probably off of the engine raw water pump. I have never seen one plumbed with a separate cooling pump but I know it is done that way sometimes. I suspect they did that when they repowered.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes, concur. The RAW water cooling should be coming from the Engine running the stabilizer hydraulic pump for the Naiad. Typically the raw water is tapped into the Engine Raw water cooling after the impeller but before the main heat heat exchanger on the engine.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

There is a photo and discussion of the original Naiad 252 / Hatteras installed water pickup for the stabiliser heat exchanger which is plumbed into the top of the 12v71 Jabsco pump at this link... https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...sers-1984-61MY
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.