Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking at a 1966 41C 8V53's

I am looking at buying a 1966 41C with twin 8v53's. The boat is on the West Coast, Long Beach, CA.
    This will be my first salt water boat and first boat of its size and running gear I have ever owned. I grew up in KY on Lakes and Rivers, mostly 26-32'ers, so this is all new.

Any advice or things to look for outside having a survey done that I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.....

Re: Looking at a 1966 41C 8V53's

41 C is a great boat and having owned one think they are the model that put Hatteras on the map. Little wet in a head sea but basically a great boat.
    Original power 8V53 makes for a slow ride average 16 knots and they have not made those engines for a very long time so parts may become an issue especially any parts that pertain to the salt water cooling system. Heat ex changers , risers etc. If you can find one in your price range that's been powered with B series Cummins which IMO was the perfect choice or Cat's your going to like the boat more. If re powered check for a shaft size upgrade the original shaft size of 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" don't remember exactly is gong to snap shafts with the bigger HP. Hope this helps

Re: Looking at a 1966 41C 8V53's

Thank you, yeah the owner is a Mechanical Engineer and takes her out monthly. The motors are clean enough to eat off of. The boat needs bottom paint and some sanding on the outer cabin, but all in all she is solid for $33k

Still has all the original appliances and they all work. Including the microwave.