Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coupling Old Copper Fuel Lines

I have heard from a number of people that the 47 year old copper fuel and water lines are brittle and can not be flared. I would like to clean up the generator fuel supply and return lines which would require mating them to rubber lines. What is the best way to do this? Can I slide a rubber line over the copper and double or triple clamp it? Is there a better way?

Hatteras Fuel Lines.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Coupling Old Copper Fuel Lines

If they're too brittle to flare then replace the lines, at the least, back to the valves.
    Slipping hose over copper tubing and then hose clamping should only be used in an emergency to be able to get going.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    If they're too brittle to flare then replace the lines, at the least, back to the valves.
    Slipping hose over copper tubing and then hose clamping should only be used in an emergency to be able to get going.
    What Cricket said, I'd trace them back to the valves and replace the entire run with a good quality hose (from a hydraulic shop, not autozone)
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Can you anneal the ends you want to flare? I’ve annealed many copper washers on drain plugs of cars and motorcycles. It might be a bit tricky on the fuel lines, but the water should be no risk.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Are compression fittings out of the question?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I was going to also suggest annealing.

Compression fittings are a no-no.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You've got 47 year old brittle copper lines, they are going to be like that for the entire run, don't fool around replace them.
    There may be an easier way to run the new lines than how Hatteras installed them, worth looking into.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I don't know if the old copper is too brittle to flare or not, but I can recommend a cheap way to check--Try one and see! (I think I would start with water.)
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I just did new flares on my copper lines, no problem at all and mine are 46 years old. So I agree try it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I replaced some sections of my 35 year old copper steering lines using flares. It was brittle in the bilge but I found good copper in the ER to splice to. Also make sure to use the USCG Flame resistant fuel hose if not going copper. Not just the good stuff from the auto place. The true USCG fire rated hose is hard to find off the shelf even at a hydraulic shop.