Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for ideas on lighting in V berth area of '53 MY

We are live aboards and consequently do a lot of laundry. The v berth has one overhead light just at the steps, and then 3 wall lights, one over the top bunk, one for the bottom bunk and one on the forward bulkhead on the port side. It is always dark in there. I'd like to add LED lighting to brighten up the whole area. Switched lighting would be best. Has anyone added lighting in the forward cabin area that could share some ideas? I believe the wall lights on my boat are 32v as is the overhead.
    Thanks in advance.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Looking for ideas on lighting in V berth area of '53 MY

I agree with you John it is very dark in that room. We have a desk light on the port side shelf but that’s Minimal lighting. I can’t wait to hear what others say about this. You’ve got me thinking now.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

realizing our v-berths are likely very different, but I was having the same issue, very dark in there. I ended up pulling power off a receptacle, converting the box to a double gang and mounting a switch in one gang and a usb/110v combo in the other gang. I ran the wire up the inner closet wall about 2' and mounted this light from Lowes.

I realize it won't last forever, but I was not having good luck finding a light I was really happy with. This was a compromise to get light in that cabin asap and it looks good. It may only last a few years, but that cabin stays really dry.

It's LED and draws very little power.

We mounted on the wall, facing forward. It splashes light all over the cabin.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-...Bar/1000412651

Last edited by rustybucket; 01-21-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rusty, I see your volume control in one of the pictures. Since we don’t use the factory speakers we are looking to repurpose the locations as LED puck lights. Have not looked at bypassing the volume control but should be easy. Wire gauge not an issue since they are LED with minimum draw. Especially if you end up finding 32 volt lights. Then even less draw.

When looking at lights they may Be listed as 12 or 24 volt but check specs to see if they have a range they work in like a lot of our electronics.

EDIT..............Tried to edit this right after I posted but my IPAD won't let me. See now that is your fan speed. My suggestion only works if you have the factory installed sound system.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 01-21-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    realizing our v-berths are likely very different, but I was having the same issue, very dark in there. I ended up pulling power off a receptacle, converting the box to a double gang and mounting a switch in one gang and a usb/110v combo in the other gang. I ran the wire up the inner closet wall about 2' and mounted this light from Lowes. I realize it won't last forever, but I was not having good luck finding a light I was really happy with. This was a compromise to get light in that cabin asap and it looks good. It may only last a few years, but that cabin stays really dry.It's LED and draws very little power.We mounted on the wall, facing forward. It splashes light all over the cabin.https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-...Bar/1000412651
    Thanks. This is what I was looking for. It would be great if I can find appropriate 32v LED’s and eliminate some AC wiring but the good news is access to the closet and electric panel are not terrible.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Why not add a lamp on the countertop?
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

This is what I have but it’s still a little dark. Going to try out LED bright white
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

i am also thinking of more light in the v berth. i'm thinking of replacing the round dome light above the step to a larger 12v led, just need to find the right one
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Pull the headliner down, make and install boxes to mount led recessed fixtures so they''re flush with the head liner, run the wires, install new head liner.
    Simple as that.......
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Why not add a lamp on the countertop?
    As live aboards that space is used by the Admiral for storage. Great idea though.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD