Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

how to pull out the generator on a 1965 41DC (Gennie below the floor framing)

I have made the decision to replace my gennie. I have an aft cabin, where the gennie is located in aft part of the engineroom. Above the gennie, there is a wood structure that hold the floor panels. the genie is (of course) larger than the framing above it, so I can't simply "lift" it out.

I am assuming I either need to take the old gennie apart and move it piece by piece or cut the framing and then rebuild it? or should I move it to the area between the engines and use a dolly and ramp to bring it out?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: how to pull out the generator on a 1965 41DC (Gennie below the floor framing)

When I removed the old Onan 7.5 from my 43DC I did split it apart to get it out in 2 pieces.
    I used doubled up 2X4s laid from side deck to side deck through the open windows. Then a come along to hoist it into the salon.
    Capt. Rob

Re: how to pull out the generator on a 1965 41DC (Gennie below the floor framing)

Look closely at how the framing is put together. Many times it is removable. If not plan on removing some and make replacement sections removable. Not hard to fabricate at all.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I have a 42 c and have had my gen set out three times now. I build a platform over the stringers and slide it forward between the engines after I turn the set sideways to make it fit. Then a 4x4 through the windows with a chainfall to raise it. It then goes on a movers dolly and out the door. As far as you getting it up the stairs on your boat a ramp will be required. My set is a 7.5 MDJE, its chunky so be carefull.

Walt Hoover

separate electrical and motor ends and hand carry it out. I did one of mine last year - its 20kw. Needed another person on mine , but smaller gen like yours you should be able to do. Are you rebuilding or replacing? If replacing may need to consider how the new one will be installed, preferably in one piece.....Pat

Doc G,

I would expect the dry weight of a 20K to be in the neighborhood of 1000 lbs. Even if you split it and had 500lbs on the engine and 500 on the Electrical side, 500lbs is a lot for two people to move.

Please send a list of friends that I can call, LOL.

two of us carried out the electrical end of my 20kw Onan.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

yes we pulled the electrical end only and of course that was rotor and stator seperately, not incredibly difficult........Pat

I also have a 1965 DCMY, but my genset is located forward of the port engine. I rebuilt the 7.5 Onan many years ago. I disassembled it in place so I could carry all the components out myself. After the rebuild work I reversed the process. Some years later I replaced the Onan with a Westerbeke. Same process for removing the Onan. The Westerbeke was a used one, so after rebuild and test run in the shop I disassembled it and reassembled it in the engine room. Sounds complicated but assembly in the engine room is not so bad since everything is clean and ready to assemble.

This will be more difficult with the center-aft location. The suggestions to remove the electrical end stator and rotor, then carry the engine out are the best idea. If this is like my original Onan, the connections in the electrical box must me made from the top. I had to cut a hole in the saloon floor for access - but as suggested previously not a big problem.