Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1968 hatteras 41 SF REPOWER

So we are in the middle of pulling out some old 300Ms but we seem to be missing something. When we try to hiist it out it wont come. We were trying to pull just the engines and leave the gears in. What could we be missing. Are there any bolts or a pin that’s hard to see?

Re: 1968 hatteras 41 SF REPOWER

What brand of gears? They all have a ring of bolts around them. I’d pull them hooked to the motor if you can

I tried to edit my post, but there should be a drive ring bolted to the flywheel that the gear slides into. If you can’t shake it apart you may still have a bolt in the bottom. They may be Capital gears if they’re original. I haven’t worked on one of those in about 40 years so I can’t remember exactly how the bolt pattern went. There’s nothing in the where are you of a pin or internal bolt though. Was this boat from Texas?

They are capital gears but i don’t know where the boat originated from. It’s been in the Florida panhandle most Of its life as far as i know.

I was just curious. We installed a pair of Cummins in that model for a customer. Hatteras wouldn’t do it at the factory so he ordered it with Chrysler gas engines. It was named the “Playgirl”. The bell housing should have a circle of bolts in a circle about every 5-6”. The gear is probably just stuck in the drive housing. I have a 300 short block with a new crank that’s going to the scrap yard some day.