Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Headhunter fresh water pump problem

My headhunter pump has been working fine until recently. When I wake up in the morning I don't have any water pressure. When I look at the pump there are not any abnormal lights on the board.

I have to open a water faucet and then flip the circuit breaker for the pump to work. It works fine until I turn the faucet off. After I turned it off the lights on the pump are still normal, the pump isn't cycling but it wont produce any water pressure.

I thought perhaps my accumulator is bad so I'm going to replace it but my regular boat mechanic thinks I need to replace the entire pump. Has anybody had the same issue?
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Headhunter fresh water pump problem

ASS-uming you re talking about the 120/240v Mach 5... I ve been using these for over 10 years

They are very sensitive to intake air leaks but when that causes an issue it will trigger a flashing red which can be reset by the reset button or by cycling the breaker. I have never seen one not building pressure without the error led flashing

In any case the first thing to do with these is a full air purge. Breaker off. Open 3 or 4 faucets. Breaker on. Let water flow and some pressure build up (20 seconds). Breaker off. Repeat 6 times. Final time leave the breaker on and turn all the faucets off. Pump will build full pressure and shut off

Worth a try but the lack of error led tells me there may something wrong with the electronics.

If you need to replace it, headhunter will give you 50% off if you return the serial number sticker from the out of warranty pump. They don’t care about the dead pump, the sticker is enough ... I ve replaced a couple like that
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks! I've tried what you're recommended. Do you know how long these pumps are warrantied? I think mine is around 4 years old.
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Thanks! I've tried what you're recommended. Do you know how long these pumps are warrantied? I think mine is around 4 years old.
    I m Not sure. I think it s two years. Give them a call they are VERY helpful
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Re: Headhunter fresh water pump problem

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I m Not sure. I think it s two years. Give them a call they are VERY helpful
    That’s right; excellent customer service.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

6. Re: Headhunter fresh water pump problem

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If you need to replace it, headhunter will give you 50% off if you return the serial number sticker from the out of warranty pump. They don’t care about the dead pump, the sticker is enough ... I ve replaced a couple like that
    I don’t think they do this anymore, at least they no longer do it for their 24 volt pumps.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Never used the DC pumps. I have a Mach 5 that failed and I will bring back when I get a chance. We ll see
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Talked to Andre at Headhunter today. Nice guy. He thinks my pump is shot so I bought a new one. The purge and restart procedure did nothing to help my pump. He gave me a $300 discount since I already had an old headhunter. Not the fully 1/2 price discount but I was still happy. Overnight sent to California total was a little over one boat buck.
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee