Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Help!!!! 48 sportfish, pin size hole on engine room floor.

Do you have the option of indoor storage through the winter, if you hauled her out now? I notice you're in MI- I know some boats up there come out into dry storage for the winter.

hauled boat out and there is not even a scratch on the hull, entire bottom paint is intact, where else should i look to where water may be coming in? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    If the keel is full, the first problem is going to be draining and drying the inside of it. I did this on my 36 c and it took weeks to dry the inside of the keep to the point where it could be repaired. That's two weeks with a shop vac pulling air through the keel, in the summer. But this is not a trivial problem and you are right to be concerned about it. Ideal would be a prolonged haulout, thoroughly drying everything out, and then a repair of the damaged areas and barrier coat applied to everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasi View Post
    hauled boat out and there is not even a scratch on the hull, entire bottom paint is intact, where else should i look to where water may be coming in? Thanks
    Same answer if the leak went away after hauling.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would open up the keel; I suspect you'll find a lot of water in there. Drying it out thoroughly and repairing any leaks is a complex process which will take a while. Like weeks. Getting the keel thoroughly dried out takes a while.

Prior keel damage could have been repaired but the water remained.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I wonder if someone mounted a bilge switch or similar and penetrated through into the keel, the skin between the foam filled keel and bilge area seems quite thin on my boat. Over the years enough water will weep through a screw hole to fill the spaces around the foam filled keel.

When we did the keel repair in my boat, the foam that had originally filled the keel was deteriorated and it was full of water. The hardest part of the repair was drying out the keel. It took forever. Two weeks in ninety-degree heat, with a shop vac pulling air through it 24/7. Compared to all that, the repair was relatively easy.

My 34 had a keel leak. Would drip like crazy when hauled. Could not fix because water was always there. When we hauled for 10 months to refit it finally stopped and we repaired. Has not ever recurred.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Hello, my 42c had water in the keel every fall at haul out and drove me nuts looking for the leak. I have a drain plug in it, don't know it that's factory or not. I finally found that any water from the stuffing boxes would run to the center bilge and into the keel from screw holes holding down the center bilge pump. I reglassed the floor over the holes and made brackets to hold the pump and float switch, last fall only a few drips out of the drain. I think it was from the wet foam in the keel, no keel damage and it never leaked when hauled before removing the drain plug.

Since you have water entering from the keel area it may be that you have a drain plug and it is leaking from there and water pressure has filled the keel and its coming from a prior screw hole in the floor.

Walt Hoover

I just reread your first post and will add another finding of mine since you also have water under an engine. I found a small hole in the limber tube that runs under my port engine. any water in the bilge area forward of that engine would weep out that hole, I just discovered this last weekend. I gave it a sanding and used marinetex to fill that.

Walt Hoover