Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Proud owner of a new Hat (new to me!) Have a few questions

I wanted to first say thanks to the moderators for accepting my request to be a member of the forum. I look forward to learning more about our boat from you all. 1981 Hatteras 43c w/ DD 6V92’sFew tech questions. * Need help with light switches and what all they turn off and on. She has almost as many residential light switches as my house! Is there a diagram in the owners manual?* The water heater does not turn on/pull any amperage. I am guessing the element is bad. Not much identification on the unit and it appears to be the original unit. I have attached a picture of the only identifiers I can locate on the unit. Would you replace the entire unit with a new unit? If so what would you suggest I install? Or would you suggest replacing the element? If so where would I purchase an element from for these older units? Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide! Take care and stay safe!
    Attached Images

Re: Proud owner of a new Hat (new to me!) Have a few questions

Glad to have you a part of the Hatteras family. Enjoy you girl.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks SEVEN! Thankful to be a part of the family!

I don’t know your boat very well but a friend replaced their hot water heater. Theirs is a 1980 so it might be the same. The hot water heater is a square box in front of the starboard motor. They replaced it with a matching one they bought from west Marine. I’d shop around and get the best price.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks SEVEN. Our water heater is the round type that lays horizontal to the side of the port engine.

Look around every cavity on the boat and see if the original drawings are onboard. If not maybe obtainable from SAMS. If needed I can take pictures of my drawings from my 82 46C which is similar and email to you. Might not be exact but will be close. Especially the generic 120VAC and 12 VDC drawings. Been meaning to scan them to PDF but have not. Others here will probably also have something to send.

The drawings are PRICELESS!!!!!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Call hatteras with your hull number. They should d be able to sell you a new package.

Mine was $75.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Welcome. Still boatless, but it will be a Hatt. Soon.

I assume you put a multimeter on the wiring at the water heater and verified there's juice there? If so elements should be available and affordable. Someone may have turned it on without water in it. It only takes a few seconds for it to go poof. Ask me how I know.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Look around every cavity on the boat and see if the original drawings are onboard. If not maybe obtainable from SAMS. If needed I can take pictures of my drawings from my 82 46C which is similar and email to you. Might not be exact but will be close. Especially the generic 120VAC and 12 VDC drawings. Been meaning to scan them to PDF but have not. Others here will probably also have something to send.The drawings are PRICELESS!!!!!
    Madhatter that would be a huge help if you could email those drawings. Even if they aren’t exactly like my 43c it would be a great starting point. I’ll send you my email. Thanks in advance!

Those water heaters are no longer made, I think. I suggest you look at Defender Marine and get an Isotemp; the are supplied in similar shapes to the one you have. Most of them have provision for a coolant loop through the heater tank which allows your generator set or one of your main engines to heat water while you are underway. Very useful feature.

If you decide to get one of the square box ones, also look at Seaward; I have had one for decades and it is still working fine, rather surprising as it was not very expensive to begin with.

You could also take the heating element out and see if you can match it up at a marine store. West Marine is unlikely to have anything. But the heating element may be a generic one that you can match up through Grainger or McMaster-Carr. If that fixes the problem you have at least temporary hot water whilst you decide what to do.

Welcome to the nuthouse, we're all crazy around here. But there's a lot of useful information mixed in with all the craziness.