Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Recommendations for possible purchase of Hatts in storage?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    any interest in an enclosed bridge 60 sf,
    I think low 50s is plenty enough for me.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

So, you do a hull and engine survey ,then later splash the boat and do a sea trial, if the sea trial is unacceptable,or the boat does not perform , does the seller reimburse you for the survey costs? Only seems fair .

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    So, you do a hull and engine survey ,then later splash the boat and do a sea trial, if the sea trial is unacceptable,or the boat does not perform , does the seller reimburse you for the survey costs? Only seems fair .
    You get your deposit back but are out the costs of survey,haul out etc.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I have seen one in Port Clinton, Ohio, but I want some traditional medium to dark wood in the salon and etc. That one has a lot of white paint.

Thanks,
    We looked at it also but for same reason passed and we purchased the 1989 52c we have now with original wood interior.

Wouldn’t you be better off paying the seller for a sea trial before proceeding. When you are interested in an auto ,you take a test drive first , an aircraft purchase usually proceeds with a flight test (paid by the interested buyer) first .

Wouldn’t you be better off paying the seller for a sea trial before proceeding.
    That's how I would prefer to proceed; but at least a contract with deposit in escrow, splash, sea trial, and then start spending my money on haul out, engine survey, and then hull survey last. I realize you don't always get what you want.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

How would one do an engine survey on the hard?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    How would one do an engine survey on the hard?
    I think you could do enough to decide whether it’s worth proceeding further. Cylinder wall crosshatching, oil samples, pressure test cooling system, compression tests all come to mind. Seen plenty of inboards run on the hard with garden hoses providing cooling. You’d have enough water to at least do a cold start, oil pressure and smoke observation. Think of it as a go/no-go scenario.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Agree. Actually I'm not sure I'd even start them up on the hard, in the storage shed. I think I'd do all the inspection items and save actually running them for the sea trial.

The costs of looking over and doing the diligence are just going to be higher on a GL boat in the winter. What pays off potentially for you is having a boat that has low hours, that's spent its running time in fresh water, and that was stored indoors every winter. There is nothing like a FW boat.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I think you could do enough to decide whether it’s worth proceeding further. Cylinder wall crosshatching, oil samples, pressure test cooling system, compression tests all come to mind. Seen plenty of inboards run on the hard with garden hoses providing cooling. You’d have enough water to at least do a cold start, oil pressure and smoke observation. Think of it as a go/no-go scenario.
    Fair enough, you can do some, just not all. However, I thought oil samples were taken while running (if possible) or immediately after shutdown. You want all the evidence to be in suspension and not sedimented out in a corner somewhere. But taking the air box covers off and having a peek inside the jugs is definitely worth doing, as is a cold compression test.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay