Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations for possible purchase of Hatts in storage?

As I come across some really clean looking Hatts in storage, I was wondering how you would proceed with a possible purchase? These boats are in heated storage and for various reasons the owners don't have plans to bring them out without a accepted offer. So I am thinking of looking at the vessels, making offer, survey on the hard, and then splash for completion of survey and a sea trial. Is this what you would do? My concern is that to get a idea of moisture/water problems wouldn't the boat need to be in the water a minute? I can't really imagine a sea trial on an fresh out of storage boat not having issues? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Recommendations for possible purchase of Hatts in storage?

It will have to be done in two (or more) parts. Survey on land - go home. Owner launches the boat and gets her up and running then buyer and surveyors come back and do the in water parts.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

You could have them splash the boat the day before so it soaks overnight and do your seatrial first, if it passes then you have it hauled and put away so the surveyor will be nice and comfy while he does his thing. Yeah no free rides without a signed agreement. The buyer pays for the short haul and the owner or his capt runs the boat on thier dime. What size you looking at?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It will have to be done in two (or more) parts. Survey on land - go home. Owner launches the boat and gets her up and running then buyer and surveyors come back and do the in water parts.
    Just how I did it. No problems. After Seatrial and accepted offer it came back out of the water and I worked off the survey findings I cared about and got to know the boat real well as it stayed out of the water 3 weeks until I was ready to splash it again. Fun times.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    What size you looking at?
    Well the boats I was speaking of in the Greatlakes are a 43C, 43DC, and a 53MY. I have always liked smaller Convertibles and the wife likes the 53MY. I think a compromise is a 52C that has retained it's convertible features on the cruiser side. I am still looking for that 52c to come along. I do know that there is a 46C and 48C that look really good up in Maryland, but man that as long way home.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

3000 miles is a long way home. Your not near that and to be fair it's not a transport problem its a chance to have an adventure.

A 52c with 4 strokes is a great setup.

I've also seen 53c's with repowers that were great. If your a convertible guy you wont like a motoryacht.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you are referring to Scope’s 46 it is same layout I have. Worth a look because it has a great layout that offers many much room than most any other boat that size.

I have sold boats in this situation.
    Boat most likely can not be put into the water until spring.
    Have survey done in heated storage, cut deal then sea trial once owner has launched and
    commissioned in the spring.

By the way there is a good looking 52c up here on Lake Erie I believe it is on yacht world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post
    By the way there is a good looking 52c up here on Lake Erie I believe it is on yacht world.
    I have seen one in Port Clinton, Ohio, but I want some traditional medium to dark wood in the salon and etc. That one has a lot of white paint.

Thanks,

any interest in an enclosed bridge 60 sf, 1979 have a friend that wants to sell. she runs good but is a little bit of a fixer upper. still on the yard for a blister job and bottom paint
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.