Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Need Help Removing Internal Sea Strainer

Pascal you beat me to the inspect at the least and or replace the thru hull and sea cock suggestion.
    We've changed all of ours, after eliminating many of them.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Almost finished. Enough of the strainer plumbing is removed. One nipple and 30 degree elbow remain. They would not move and there seems no need to remove them.
    The fittings were all bronze and there was no evident corrosion. It appears that bedding material made disassembly challenging.
    After removing the paint from the threads I used PB Blaster and later tried a penetrating oil named Kroil. It was highly recommended, but I wonder if either oil made much difference.

The strainer frames were removed with nipples and elbows still attached. I removed them from the frames at the house where I had room to work. They seemed immovable to leverage but gave way to impact. Hitting the pipe wrench with a 16 oz hammer made things give.

Thanks for the good advice.
    Vincent
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Most likely bedded them with 5200
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California