Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Removing Internal Sea Strainer

Its been over a year since I installed external sea strainers. They have worked fine and I'm now committed to remove the internal strainers.
    The drip-less shaft seals are at least 11 years old and the manufacturer advises replacing the bellows every 6 years. Lilly Marie is hauled out and I've undertaken to install the maintenance kits for the shaft seals.
    The internal strainers sit just above the shaft seals so it was helpful to get them out of the way. The strainers came off of the frame with little problems. Removing the frame and plumbing is another question.
    I tried a large stilson wrench and it did not budge the connectors. I see where several other members removed their internal strainers.
    Any tips on how to safely remove the piping would be appreciated.IMG_1450.jpg
    Thanks
    Vincent
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Need Help Removing Internal Sea Strainer

You're going to need to use a torch, I like the yellow bottle over the regular blue one. Also, you probably need 2 wrenches and maybe a helper to hold on to the other piece from the one you're trying to get off.
    If you don't want to use the heater you could go the PB Blaster route to loosen things up.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks Cricket,
    Probably will need to use a torch, I expect the paint on the threads will prevent PB Blaster from doing much
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I would try the two wrenches first. I removed mine a few years ago and spun it off at the seacock with one wrench held steady while I worked the other. I braced the stationary wrench with a 2x4. Not too bad to get off with a big enough wrench.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

you could try removing paint and rust with a wire wheel on a drill or 4 1/2 " angle grinder. once cleaned you could use PT blaster and renches

mark
    lake of the woods
    1989 40 DC

Removing paint around the threads sounds like a good approach. I removed the strainer baskets leaving only the frame.
    That allowed me to pass a 30" length of pipe thru the frame and get significant leverage. A pipe wrench was necessary to hold the lowers section in place. I have the starboard side down to thru sea cock.
    Tomorrow we will work on the port side which has worse access since I installed the inverter battery bank in the area outside of the port engine.
    I scraped some of the paint in the area of the threads and sprayed blaster on it. Hope that helps.

The strainers were mounted sideways and their poor accessibility made them almost impossible to inspect, much less drain. Both were about 1/4 loaded with silt and one of the baskets had a significant amount of silt inside. I think their removal adds more than space.
    Thanks
    Vincent
    IMG_1454.jpgIMG_1460.jpg
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Is is possible to lengthen the pipe attached to the base higher and move it to easily service?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Good thought. It my understanding I no longer need inside strainers if I have the external ones.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

I agree, although I don't know what kind of water your boat is in. I have not had internal strainers since my boat was converted from gas engines to diesel, and I don't miss them.

My boat has the PSS shaft seals. When we replaced the bellows about 2-3years ago, the old ones were actually still usable, and the new ones are even more robust than the old ones.

I switched to external strainers when I repowered for the mains and the air con. They work great. Just make sure your diver clean the screens

Have you considered replacing the thru hulls and sea cocks? Or at least impact them carefully if original. I replaced every thru hull and strainer on my boat... almost 50 year old. I sleep better at night. And I glassed 8 unused TH!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat