Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom Runout Thingamajig

Getting ready to bust my port shaft loose from the ZF gear check out some vibration. I'm kinda pleased with this. I made extensions that'll allow measurements to be taken at the coupling, hub and the shaft all the way back to the dripless seal.
    IMG_1122.jpg
    I use a C-clamp to secure the legs to the transverse stringer.
    IMG_1125.jpg
    This seems to work better than the vice-grip type mounts because it's rigid.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

2. Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

I don't think you will get any useful data with that setup on the OD of the coupler. What I would want to know is if the bore thru the coupler is straight and that the bore centerline is square to the mounting face.

Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

Well I think I will. I’m looking for a new vibration. Unless the hub nut has come loose, it’s centerline bore is a given.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

4. Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

I don't see how indicating a painted non-precision surface such as the OD of a shaft coupler can provide any useful info but perhaps I don't understand what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    I don't see how indicating a painted non-precision surface such as the OD of a shaft coupler can provide any useful info but perhaps I don't understand what you are looking for.
    It ain’t painted no mo. Anyway, the paint wouldn’t matter. I’m looking for significant variation. Noted the output flange of the ZF indicated 0.000 as expected. Also got data on prop shaft. Just looking. When I break the coupling I’ll have another set of numbers before checking alignment. The vibration has developed from somewhere.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

Well, best of luck and I hope you find the cause quickly. Driveline vibrations that appear out of nowhere are really tough to track down.

7. Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

I am having the cutlassbearings replaced on my 55c before spring launch. The marina did a runout on the shafts while they were at it. Stbd was .006, and Port was.003. I wanted to check if these were acceptable tolerances.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

I think what Kelpy was trying to say, The cast coupler is trued at the flange face and the shaft bore. The OD of the coupler is not in the precision machining of these mating surfaces.

Also, you may not detect the correct run out that close to the clutch. If there is an alignment or whipping of the shaft, it will be better detected away from the clutch and support bearings. Just think D bend, more error away from the ends (top or bottom).

I do like your rig. Beats the 5" of rail iron I used to use.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-08-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I am having the cutlassbearings replaced on my 55c before spring launch. The marina did a runout on the shafts while they were at it. Stbd was .006, and Port was.003. I wanted to check if these were acceptable tolerances.
    IMO, 0.003 & 0.006 are very good.
    Now 0.03 or 0.05 would raise an eyebrow,,
    Are you sure of the decimal and zeros to the right of it?

10. Re: Custom Runout Thingamajig

Thank you for the fast response, .003 & .006 iscorrect. The yard said they were good, but I wanted a 2nd opinion. Weare chasing down a vibration. I sent the props out, and new cutlassbearings are being installed. Hopefully, that will solve the issue.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328