Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coolant

Coolant

Hi.what kink of coolant goes in a 12v71n? Do you poor it directly into the filler cap on the heat exchanger?

2. Re: Coolant

You can buy Detroit Diesel Power Cool from a DD deal. I prefer to use Napa's heavy duty antifreeze and coolant (pink, not green or orange). It is the same thing an a lot cheaper. Napa Coolant.jpg
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

3. Re: Coolant

Pour into the filler cap. Its hard to do on my 55C so I use an electric transfer pump.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Re: Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Coker61 View Post
    Hi.what kink of coolant goes in a 12v71n? Do you poor it directly into the filler cap on the heat exchanger?
    I pour/pump directly in the heat exchanger. A couple of gallons coolant, couple of gallons water. Trying to keep a 50/50 mix going. When the last gallons go in, when it comes down to the final gallon / quarts, I error on the side of more water.
    Then just coolant in the recovery bottles.

In FL, I usually run 60/40 (water/coolant).
    Were never going to freeze, still plenty of chemicals for the iron, rust protection, gaskets & seals, still lots of boil over protection and it's the water that moves the heat.