Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Winter Project Begins

Good news and bad. The new bow AC showed up, but I lost the installer for awhile. I could DIY, but he has already prepped and run the water lines.. I dont want to step on his toes. He's already installed the new pilothouse and aft guest stateroom units... he's also the Kohler tech that's wiring the new genny... the good news is, with the techs OK, I completed the genny hook up and siphon break... and fired that sucker up.. runs great! No water, fuel, or exhaust leaks, and she pumps water fine.. yippee! Few wires to the panel and remote start and we done!

This actually the second start. I put the sobothane antivibration pads under the genny... makes a huge difference. The generator is on rubber antivibration pads to the pan, and the pan is now sitting on the sobothane pads... it's butter!

https://youtu.be/9xIa5W1tFZw

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    This actually the second start. I put the sobothane antivibration pads under the genny... makes a huge difference. The generator is on rubber antivibration pads to the pan, and the pan is now sitting on the sobothane pads... it's butter!

https://youtu.be/9xIa5W1tFZw
    dottieshusband,

I am interested in getting some sobothane antivibration pads for my Onan 9kw gas generator for my boat. What would you suggest (size / type) and where can I buy them? There does not seem to be a distributor in Canada.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Got these on Amazon. 8 x 8 squares, little more than an inch thick. Used on each corner.
    Attached Images

What is the expected life span of the pads?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Got these on Amazon. 8 x 8 squares, little more than an inch thick. Used on each corner.
    what is the durometer (density) of the pads and approximate cost per pad.

thanks
    Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1898 40 DC

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    What is the expected life span of the pads?
    The pads are a hard ribbed rubber sandwiching the isolator pad. I guessing they will far outlast me!

The pads are rated for 60 psi. I got a set of 4 on Amazon for less than $25 bucks. They're called EVA pads... extreme vibration attenuation pads.

I guess I'll risk sounding stupid, but I assume the generator is bolted to the deck to prevent movement in heavy seas. How do they isolate the sound transmission through the mounts?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    I guess I'll risk sounding stupid, but I assume the generator is bolted to the deck to prevent movement in heavy seas. How do they isolate the sound transmission through the mounts?
    There is no non-isolated connection between the generator and the boat. The generator is mounted on rubber isolation feet. That is bolted to a heavy gauge steel pan that forms the bottom of the sound shield. The pan is sitting on the EVA pads. Lag bolts go through holes in the pan, through the EVA pads to the floor. The lag bolts are isolated from the pan with large neoprene washers under the conventional 2 inch diameter steel washers.. I'll post a video of the OHNO running and the kohler running.. you won't believe the difference.