Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Re: Winter Project Begins

Great work ! I once added a thru hull fitting near the boot stripe. The boys at the bar advised that if you are going to make a hole in the boat , drill from the outside in. My first hole was still 1/8 inch.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I learned a trick on locating blind holes. Take two round rare earth magnets and place them on the opposite sides of the hull (or whatever you're drilling thru). You can move one to where you want it and the other will follow perfectly even through some fairly thick hulls. Mark the location, remove the magnets and drill away. I'm not sure it would work as well with the plywood liner though.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Great work ! I once added a thru hull fitting near the boot stripe. The boys at the bar advised that if you are going to make a hole in the boat , drill from the outside in. My first hole was still 1/8 inch.
    I would have loved to drill from the outside.. but the boat is in the water and I couldn't get a good working position from the dock or from the Whater.. and a wired 1/2 inch drill with a 6 inch hole saw is a little unwieldy 4 inches above the water.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I would have loved to drill from the outside.. but the boat is in the water and I couldn't get a good working position from the dock or from the Whater.. and a wired 1/2 inch drill with a 6 inch hole saw is a little unwieldy 4 inches above the water.
    Drilling from the inside in the water can get exciting too......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Well, quick update. The new genny is hooked up, except wiring, and ready to go. Finished installing the Vernalift silencer and wet exhaust hoses, and theoretically, I could start it up. The delay has been the Air Conditioning work. We moved some units, and replaced some and went self contained in the bow bedroom. I ordered a Webasto S8 from Citimarine in Miami. Their website said they had it in stock, and still does... but they ain't gots it.... supposedly it should arrive tomorrow, but it has caused about a 10 day delay. But I'm ready to be done with this one. For you people with 2 genny,s, Is it possible to run them both and power panel 1 from 1 genny and panel 2 from the other?

Good thing your not in salt water.

3 bours to snake the water line on a self contained unit. I had to buy a sink snake and put it on a drill. Worked from both sides until I got flow again. I'll never recommend running more than 4 feet of hose to the unit.

The customer will be happy to cool off in his air conditioning after I give him the bill.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Really nice work!
    The top of your fuel tank looks so clean you could have dinner on it.

Please tell us about your Self-contained AC install in the front stateroom?
    Did you put it above the washer/dryer? Plumbed with a new RW pump, head pump? New thru-hull?

Also -- Im in the market for a large battery box. When did you end up using? Looks great.

Thanks!
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Good thing your not in salt water.

3 bours to snake the water line on a self contained unit. I had to buy a sink snake and put it on a drill. Worked from both sides until I got flow again. I'll never recommend running more than 4 feet of hose to the unit.

The customer will be happy to cool off in his air conditioning after I give him the bill.
    All these boats are different. To run the the water line from the generator room to the bow stateroom, under the lower bunk is a quick and easy job and about 9 feet. Goes from the existing distribution manifold, thru and existing chase (where the copper lines are), thru the bow bilge, and up into the existing AC blower space. The new AC fits in the same space as the old air handler, and is 8k instead of the old 7k Cruisair, and wires to the original Hatteras bus box. This is the 3rd conversion, and I've been more than pleased with the other 2. The water lines are easily accessible and if the ever did calcify, could be easily replaced.

More good news from CitiMarine... The AC was supposed to be direct ship from the warehouse, but instead is being shipped to Miami... so another false start and more delay.

Quote Originally Posted by metama View Post
    Really nice work!
    The top of your fuel tank looks so clean you could have dinner on it.

Please tell us about your Self-contained AC install in the front stateroom?
    Did you put it above the washer/dryer? Plumbed with a new RW pump, head pump? New thru-hull?

Also -- Im in the market for a large battery box. When did you end up using? Looks great.

Thanks!
    The battery box is a NOCO HM408. It's a group D vented box, but I have 2 group 24 batteries, end to end in it. The Webasto S8 bluecool unit fits in the same space as the existing Cruiseair air handler, under the lower bunk. The new units are so small now, so I went from 7k to 8k. IMHO, the bow bedroom is the easiest to convert in terms of access.. on a 63MY anyway.