Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Winter Project Begins

Kinda in a wait mode... parts. Vernalift muffler, racor filter system, fuel lines and fittings. Installed the battery charger and box today. This genny is being setup as an autonomous 24v system....not connected to the house system..I'll add cushion clamps and clean it up. The outlet was relocated from behind the new genny, so excess wiring for now.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-08-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Getting the last of the parts in. The exhaust components have been arriving. The genny itself was the biggest cost, but the accessory stuff adds up. Batteries, cables, fuel and water lines, fuel filter, clamps, and exhaust components.. fortunately, my labor rate can not be beat! All in, this project will run about 20k.
    Attached Images

Running concurrently with the genny project is some AC work. I'm replacing the bow AC with a self contained unit. Webasto S8. It isn't totally necessary but I was going to do it eventually and it frees up space in my AC gallery to run the new genny exhaust.

Finished roughing in the fuel and return lines. Dont bust on me, I need an assistant to blow in a line from the generator room to identify fuel from return. The bungs were already in the tank for the valve and fittings. Identify, seal and clamp and we got fuel. I bought a cable snaking kit from Chinaman that really helped run these lines. Batterycablesusa.com made the marine grade cables. Reasonable and quick.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-23-2020 at 12:51 PM.

The Kohler tech is coming later this week to wire up the genny! Almost ready for him... raw water, fuel, and batteries ready to go. Spent the day working on exhaust. What I dreaded the most turned out to be the easiest.. installing the exhaust thru hull. It's 3/4 inch solid fiberglass in that area.
    Attached Images

Cutting a hole in the boat is scary, especially one that big and that close to the waterline.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Cutting a hole in the boat is scary, especially one that big and that close to the waterline.
    I've noticed the generator room was painted two tone, white and gray... gray floor and walls for about a third of the way up. I was running the raw water line for the genny and wanted it to be self priming (below the waterline).. so being the "genius" that I am, I turned the ball valve open, and slowly lowered the open end of the hose until I got flow....and shazam, realized the gray/white wall paint separation..IS the later line... took some of the worry away.. my aim was to split the boot stripe 50/50 with the exhaust...missed it by about 1/4 inch... I call that close enough!

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I've noticed the generator room was painted two tone, white and gray... gray floor and walls for about a third of the way up. I was running the raw water line for the genny and wanted it to be self priming (below the waterline).. so being the "genius" that I am, I turned the ball valve open, and slowly lowered the open end of the hose until I got flow....and shazam, realized the gray/white wall paint separation..IS the later line... took some of the worry away.. my aim was to split the boot stripe 50/50 with the exhaust...missed it by about 1/4 inch... I call that close enough!
    What a clever idea.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

FWIW, the hull in the genny room is clad in 1/2 plywood. I used a 6 inch hole saw with arbor, and cut to the depth of the plywood. Then, using the same arbor hole, used a 3 5/8 hole saw to complete the cut. Had to do it that way to avoid sandwiching the thru hull and plywood and have enough space to get a large pair of channel locks on the thru hull nut. Used acetone to remove the excess 5200 and clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    FWIW, the hull in the genny room is clad in 1/2 plywood. I used a 6 inch hole saw with arbor, and cut to the depth of the plywood. Then, using the same arbor hole, used a 3 5/8 hole saw to complete the cut. Had to do it that way to avoid sandwiching the thru hull and plywood and have enough space to get a large pair of channel locks on the thru hull nut. Used acetone to remove the excess 5200 and clean up.
    Perfect job.