Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Winter Project Begins

The ramp is in... few odds and ends to finish. The it's time to make it happen!
    Attached Images

Could you please take a photo side on to the ramp. Its not clear to me what is supporting above the genset room. What height above the genset floor is the end of the ramp?

Very interested in this.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I'm galley up, and lower dinette has been replaced with an office desk set up. The beam trolley and ramp are independent structures. All are supported on the cabin sole above the generator room. The ramp is also supported by the pilothouse floor in addition to 3 leg sets that extend to the sole. The beam of the beam trolley is supported by "A" frames on either side. More pictures coming soon. It's difficult to evenly distribute the load, but it's designed not to exceed 220lbs on any single member. The "but" is there will be a single point load on the pilothouse floor joist at the steps of about 500 lbs very briefly when transferring from the dolly to the ramp.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-01-2020 at 06:43 AM.

Still a little cross bracing to do. Added a leg set after seeing the cutaway from Chasemc's stairway project. So far, all measurements have been good and all should clear.
    Attached Images

The structure at the top of the pilothouse steps was not as robust as I imagined. This extra set if legs will spread the load a little better. Attached an eye bolt for a come a long to pull the genny down the ramp. With friction, I dont think there is enough fall to move by itself.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-02-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Thank you for illustrating why it's so expensive to have work done by professionals.

It's not just a simple task to get things in and out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I did the same project 2 years ago
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This project makes me wish I had a Convertible! There really is no easy way to get this thing in position. I hope to finish up bracing the ramp tomorrow, then down the hole Tuesday. Two weeks, and it's behind me!

Hi Paul, I've been waiting years to see how this is done. But how did you get the old genset out?

(I have my old broken 20kva Kohler ready to be removed.)
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Scott, my old OHNO mdl4 still works just fine. I originally planned to put in a small nighttime generator. But the project evolved. Thought about replacing the OHNO and a new second genny.. but settled on just a backup 16kw. It would be no problem to take the old one our with the same setup. The chain hoist has a 10 foot lift range. So just hook up the old one, lift it up to ramp level, trolley it laterally to the ramp, then up and out the pilothouse door... or break it down into manageable pieces.