Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Drill recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    I've had 18v and 20v in the past. Last year I picked up a small Milwaukee M12 set and I am absolutely in love with it on the boat. The tools are light and small, compact, but make no mistake they still pack a very big punch. There are tons of tools available to fill the kit, as a matter of fact, i'm picking up a stapler today for a small upholstery project.

The m12 band saw and sawzall are incredibly handy little saws to have around the boat and the bandsaw will cut stainless like butter.

For use on a boat, and around the house, I HIGHLY recommend the m12. If you are a contractor who uses your tools for hours every day, spring for the 18 or 20v stuff.
    I'm on this program. What I REALLY like about it is that once you've bought a few pieces with charger and 2 batteries included (They had a bunch of these on sale at Home Depot) you can buy "tool only" without batteries/charger. (Other brands may do this too) I now have 3 chargers in strategic places and 8 or so batteries serving a bunch of different tools.. Works like a charm.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

On the cordless side I like the Ryobi 18v stuff, almost now have now have 4 sets; home, beach, boat, Florida.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I'm a Dewalt 20-Volt Lithium-ion battery guy myself... have a wide assortment of tools from light, to drill.. to impact driver, etc.... and don't forget quality drill bits and driver sets as well...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I find that I never use my cordless drill due to the fact that our boat has so many outlets. I use a 3/8 Mikita . This will take up to 1/2 inch bits as long as the shank is made for a 3/8 drill. I use a right angle adapter a lot, but as Robert mentioned, a right angle drill would be better . If you can find them, a set of short bits is useful. I have rented a magnetic base drill to drill out corroded bolts. They are usually very large, but I was able to find one by Bosch in 3/8 . I also have an electric die grinder by Makita for the real stubborn stuff.
    Yeah, I was thinking about Mikita, but have not seen it at Lowes the last time. I found one list of best cordless drills, and choosing from those models, could take de vault, really seems to be the best option according to specification, but I could take BOSCH 40-piece set of bits and drill for the same money. Interesting, that many of you advise ryobi, but I was told this brand is the worst choice. Well thanks for your replies, anyway

BTW, I bought my Milwaukee right angle drill from their reconditioned site six years ago; it's still running strong. Have been back to that well subsequent. Pretty good savings over a new product.

Also, I have a selection of bits that I've shortened as mentioned above. Along with the Milwaukee, I have a Dewalt impact driver onboard. Those two take care of just about all of my needs. Rarely do I bother bringing a full size drill to the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by ThrilledOne View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking about Mikita, but have not seen it at Lowes the last time. I found one list of best cordless drills, and choosing from those models, could take de vault, really seems to be the best option according to specification, but I could take BOSCH 40-piece set of bits and drill for the same money. Interesting, that many of you advise ryobi, but I was told this brand is the worst choice. Well thanks for your replies, anyway
    Curious who or where you heard that about Ryobi? And why?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Interesting thread. I've happily used DeWalt 20 for years, but just bought my first Ryobi tool last weekend. I finally gave up on trying to push six-10 out of the tube with a hand driven caulk gun - it just doesn't work - so I bought the Ryobi power caulk gun. Actually, Home Despot had a deal where you buy two batteries and a charger for $100 and they throw in the tool for free. I absolutely love this thing. No more manual caulk guns for me.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

another Ryobi 18v here. Just keep adding tools for boat, home, motorhome. Reasonable price and have never worn one out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We use a lot of cordless tools in our stainless fabrication shop.
    Have tried them all, dewalt, Milwaukee, ridgid, craftsman, hitachi looking for the most durable at the best price, so far they are all disposable tools.
    Have yet to find a driver that outlasts the ridgid and at half the price of the Milwaukee and dewalts is the best value.
    For recreational work you can not beat Ryobi.
    Have had a multi tool set for about 7 years and still on the original batteries.
    I also have a black and decker matrix set on the boat from sams club.
    This set is the most versatile combo I have come across. Has one base driver and all the other attachments attach to the same driver, circ. Saw, jig saw, Sander and an air compressor.

I have been using Bosch 12 volt commercially for years. Lowes sells the drill and impact combo with two batteries and a charger on sale at times for $100. The lower voltage batteries seem to last longer. After about 4 years my last set played out on me because I left it in the bridge where it got rained on. My guys have tried Dewalt, Ryobi, Ridgid and many others but the Bosch seems to hold up best.