Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drill recommendation

Hi everyone, I was reading threads usually, but bought a marine antenna recently, decided to mount it, and realized I have no drill. Advise me something decent, please, I thought about devolt 20 max after reading some reviews, but decided to ask someone first.

Upd. Bought DeWalt finally, from these guys wisepick.org/best-cordless-drill, it's on the top and some of you advised it, too. Twice more expensive than other models, but seems to be better, and, by the way, I have not seen Ryobi in any review lists, so not sure it's really reliable, thanks everybody for your thoughts
    Last edited by ThrilledOne; 01-20-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Re: Drill recommendation

Because of so many tight spaces, I rarely use anything but my Milwaukee right angle drill. Not as powerful, but better for being careful about drilling too deep.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Hello,

All of my cordless tools are DeWalt, 18 volt. Good battery life and built tough. I have a Dewalt orbital sander that is 25 years old. Its had two new Velcro pads on it but that all. Milwaukee makes very good cordless tools also, their torque and battery life is the best in my opinion.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Hello,

All of my cordless tools are DeWalt, 18 volt. Good battery life and built tough. I have a Dewalt orbital sander that is 25 years old. Its had two new Velcro pads on it but that all. Milwaukee makes very good cordless tools also, their torque and battery life is the best in my opinion.

Walt Hoover
    I'll bet your 25 year old DeWalt was built in a different country than they are now. I can't get over that Milwaukee is built in China, and built in Japan is the good old days.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I’ve gotten rid of my old dewalt 18v as they’re going obsolete. The 20v is far superior and they have a greater selection of tools. They also have a right angle drill. If your not using it continuously look at the Ryobi line not as powerful as the Dewalt but the variety of different tools is actually more. I was always a Milwaukee guy but they have lagged in the cordless market.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I've had 18v and 20v in the past. Last year I picked up a small Milwaukee M12 set and I am absolutely in love with it on the boat. The tools are light and small, compact, but make no mistake they still pack a very big punch. There are tons of tools available to fill the kit, as a matter of fact, i'm picking up a stapler today for a small upholstery project.

The m12 band saw and sawzall are incredibly handy little saws to have around the boat and the bandsaw will cut stainless like butter.

For use on a boat, and around the house, I HIGHLY recommend the m12. If you are a contractor who uses your tools for hours every day, spring for the 18 or 20v stuff.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have the DeWalt 20 V lithium ion cordless tools. Strong, dependable and I use them constantly both on the boat and doing endless repairs on my rental properties.

Go with the lithium ion for quick recharging while using an already charged battery that way you are never without power.

Besides the cordless drill, I also love the impact driver drill!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I ended up with the ryobi one system plus some rigid heads that fit the system too.

It's the most widely available and full line of tools and the cost is half or less than Milwaukee. I want argue that they are as good as the Milwaukee but in 2 years I've had no failures and they get used quite a bit.

My previous set was makita 14 volt nimh that I bought almost 20 years earlier and i just replaced batteries over the years. The batteries are weak and old but the tools still work. I'm tempted to get new batteries and use them as backups but I can get new tools cheaper whan ryobi has a sale.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A vote here for Ryobi: large selection of tools available at Home Depot, reasonably priced generic batteries on Amazon and enough power for boat maintenance usage. I have everything from a Sawzall to Bluetooth speakers, a six port charger means I always have charged batteries.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I find that I never use my cordless drill due to the fact that our boat has so many outlets. I use a 3/8 Mikita . This will take up to 1/2 inch bits as long as the shank is made for a 3/8 drill. I use a right angle adapter a lot, but as Robert mentioned, a right angle drill would be better . If you can find them, a set of short bits is useful. I have rented a magnetic base drill to drill out corroded bolts. They are usually very large, but I was able to find one by Bosch in 3/8 . I also have an electric die grinder by Makita for the real stubborn stuff.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL