Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Magnet screwed next to compass

Does anyone know why there is a magnet screw on the wall next to the upper helm compass? Do all these hatteras have them?
    Attached Images
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Re: Magnet screwed next to compass

It’s not on mine.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

No magnet on mine
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I suspect someone before you actually had the compass swung and the tech decided it needed that. You have a correction card anywhere? (List with cardinal headings and the correction to apply to the compass reading....) That would be evidence of the procedure having been done.

That's the obvious answer..... I'm probably wrong....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Probably to compensate for compass error. Although depending on how long ago it was done, it might not need it. Good idea to have the compass swung and see if it's accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Good idea to have the compass swung and see if it's accurate.
    Technically should do that when you buy the boat and every time you install/un-install electronics or metal fixtures near the compass, or LARGE metal fixtures anywhere on the boat. (Like a re-engine with different model engines)

I do think it's not as critical as it used to be when it was all you had for hours or days working a DR. That said, IF you're going to look at it and take the information into consideration it would behove you to know that it's at least close.

Paying attention first few trips when on a known heading based on GPS nav and checking what the compass says will get you pretty close. Do this at least for the cardinals and semi cardinals. If you notice any serious deviation you can do further digging.

Or you can do it the old style and find a known location where there's enough land based references to actually "swing" it either under its own power or at anchor with the dinghy pulling the stern around, a fun game to play..... I suspect "having" it done by one of the few remaining compass shops will be $$$.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Could it also be to compensate for the tilt experience by compasses when moving to different world zones? We sell compasses and north American made compasses are always special factory orders when operating in the Pacific.

The two big compasses on my own boat also have dial tilts now the boat is Downunder.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

You can use the compass app on an iphone as well. It is accurate enough to tell if you have a correction issue. I've used the iphone in my aircraft on the ground to validate the onboard compass correction card as our airport doesn't have a compass rose. The correction card was not correct, it was probably dated from the factory.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Thanks for the input. I’m in the process of prepping the helm for paint. I think I’ll fill in the holes and see if the compass needs correction when the boat goes back in the water
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

10. Re: Magnet screwed next to compass

It is a compensation magnet and most likely should not be removed without first verifying the compass course to a known heading. Using a iphone will get you pretty darn close. A recently calibrated heading sensor will suffice also.