Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cleaned out

Re: Cleaned out

Stop teasing us and send some before then during and after photos. Thanks for restoring these beautiful yachts.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

HA! This is not a restoration. Maintenance on the brightwork and a change in the sole materials. Still an upgrade I guess but not a restoration. Beautiful boat when I purchased.

My 34 was a restoration. Brought back from the dead. Found it as a widows boat with mud bee hives throughout. Cleaned it up and rebuilt a 440 Chrysler. Did that wrong but another story. Repowered with ne mercruisers. Then full interior/exterior refit. The repower to Diesel. Then redo interior after use/abuse/neglect. And another paint job in 08. Now needs TLC and a new enclosure (last one ripped off from tornado gust).

Yep, the 34 is the one I kept alive. Also can't let it go. As good as it is it won't bring any real money and my kids grew up on it. So it owes me nothing. Working on transitioning it to the boys (20 and 18) and getting them up on maintaining it.

The 46 was gold when I bought it from Capt Dave. I'm just polishing it and hope I'm doing it right.

First coats
    Attached Images

Well done sir
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Not my work. Even though I'm in FL I am a New Yorker. So "I got a guy for that"!

Things are actually going well. Salon, galley, guest berth are done. Guest head and master head are 50% done. Master is all sanded and ready for finish.

Teak and holly sole a bit behind due to humidity and weather. We only need salon done for our next trip so should hit that mark. New window tint is tomorrow. Very excited.

Very classic redo of interior with upgrade to teak and holly sole. Fitting tribute to the classic Hatteras line in my opinion!

Now if I could only hook up with a good long term mechanic. Going to do everything I did last spring like oil, filters, etc. But need to get a lot more done on this go around before I can put any more real hours on her.

Dave, If you want I would love to show you how it came out if you are interested. Doing the best I can with a piece of history, both boat wise and local lore.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    First coats
    Be sure they finish the edges as well.

The way he does this is completly finish all sheets at his shop. Then lays them all out to figure best way to match up and line up. After all are cut and prefit they go back to shop for edge finish and another top coat. Then floor goes in 100% complete and sealed.

One challange we have found is that the main hatch sits higher than everything else as it was originally designed with carpet. So that needs to be cut down to a new layer of subfloor we are going to add to make the diference minmal.

Interior nearly complete. Today I re-install all the valances around the windows I removed and refinished myself. Also got the cutting board on the stove looking like a piece of glass. SideBar install went flawless. It was like all the space I had to work with was created just for this.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 02-08-2020 at 08:53 AM.

For my exterior wood, I used the new AwlGrip varnish- it is holding up REALLY well and I found that you can hot coat it even though they tell you not to.... it isn't cheap, but boy does it look nice.

Boat is done except the teak and holly sole, new carpet, and the newly recovered L shape lounge to go back in. Will have to wait on lower area teak and holly, not enough time to get her ready for trip to St Pete Grand Prix we have coming up soon. Sure looking sweet though. We found a carpet with wavy lines that will be in V berth. Lines will go fore and aft to match up with teak and holly. Due to layout there was much waste involved on carpet especially since we bought enough for a replacement. So we decided that since we need some type of runner we will use that to make them. Will end up with 2 runners and 6-8 mats where you first step in salon matching carpet below. Will last many years and have some disposable welcome mats.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP