Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cleaned out

Cleaned out

Cleaned out the entire boat today. All belongings off. I mean EVERYTHING! Every drawer and cabinet. Pulled cabinet hardware, mattresses, window dressings.

Going to have entire wood interior refinished in semi gloss with trim done in gloss. No color change, staying dark. Exterior wood to be brought down to new and then also high gloss spar finish.

Then icing on the cake is real teak and holly in salon, galley, guest berth, and guest head. Once done all cabinets get thorough cleaning and Old English or maybe something better. Heads are fiberglass so clean and wax. Then we "move" back into clean new interior.

We all spend so much on maintenance and repairs so it feels good to spend a couple bucks and effort on improvement.

Re: Cleaned out

Good for you! You will love the teak and holly flooring. We have it in the salon and down in the galley and it is one of the nicest aspects of the boat. Really takes a “boat” to a yacht standard.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Could use some ideas for outlet and switch plate covers on the bright work. Factory stuff looks a bit country. But don’t want to end up with something that corrodes. Staying dark in color to blend in with wood.

https://www.woodwallplates.com/

M
    eanwhile.... isn't it incredible how much stuff one can hide on a boat? Every time I've sold one I've been amazed.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

How do the dang door handles come off? They look like pressed in pins.

Figure someone here has to know.

Small diameter punch.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

on my 1972 58yf the handles thread on to the shaft then there is a set screw to stop it from unscrewing when opening and closing the door
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    on my 1972 58yf the handles thread on to the shaft then there is a set screw to stop it from unscrewing when opening and closing the door
    Same on my 1976 58 LRC....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Mine had small tapered pins holding handles on. They were a pain to get out, used heat gun and small pin punches.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

So I just pulled the screws off the cover plates so they float and can move around. Guy doing the work is very much working with me on stuff like that as he is amazed a bit at how much I dismantled everything and cleaned out the boat so he can do his work. I guess many say it will be cleaned out and then he has to work around everything.

Same with the guy doing the teak and holly. Older, semi retired, and very selective about projects he takes on. Everything is wide open for him. The other thing that got him to sign on and take the project is how level all the floors and hatches are by Hatteras. This thing was built in the highest quality years and it shows in many different areas. Still big bucks but very little in getting everything level.

When we are done it will look the same but different. Biggest impact will be teak and holly sole. Keeping everything old school "yacht" type look. Not a fan at all of these new open plan odd materials new boats that make the "Clorox bottle" type boats look really good in comparison. I am adding one new modern cool feature. Putting in a SideBar Dispensor on the wetbar. When the day is done I can't bend down to get a bottle, I need to push a button.

Proud to own a Hatteras and take my duty to maintain it very seriously. Preserve it or start over.