Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12-92 water in oil

Just surveyed a 70 Hatt with 12-92 diesels mechanic found water in the oil, we are wondering what caused this, mechanic can’t invested ate further for about a month, but figures he is going to have to pull the heads to check the o ring seals any other suggestions for where to look? Engines had a complete rebuild about 200 hours ago by the local Detroit shop in San Diego called Valley Diesel. Thanks , John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: 12-92 water in oil

Keep us in the loop when you find out why. Was the boat for sale when they found the water in the oil?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I think a phone call to Valley Diesel is in order.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Yes Rusty, and I suggested that Dave, we will see, Jon Diesel, Craig Stenkes guy is doing the work. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

is it water (like saltwater) or coolant (freshwater)?

I'd probably suspect the oil cooler first as it's probably the most likely to fail.

I'd pull it and have it pressure tested. Depending on access may be able to pressure test it in-place.

If the oil cooler is good, heads would probably be my next suspect. I would expect to have to pull both heads and send off for inspection for cracks...etc While I had them off I'd go ahead and have all valves checked/redone. I'd prolly send the injectors off to be rebuilt while I had it all apart. Of course the o-rings your mechanic suggested would be suspect as well, but honestly if you got the heads off you might as well go ahead and do everything necessary.

But I would def suspect the oil cooler before the heads.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Cracked liner would do it, but that would allow coolant into the oil.

My 71’s started leaking coolant through the injector wells I believe the 92’s have the same setup. Pretty common problem. There is a tool that will roll the lip and seal them in place. You can confirm the leak through the air box covers.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I would suggest liner o rings are a consideration also. Oil cooler failure is less common.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

9. Re: 12-92 water in oil

If the contaminated oil isn't removed and the engine flushed out/ pickled, Valley is going to be doing another rebuild on that engine fairly soon.