Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low hour 43 Hatteras in Chicago?

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with a 1982 Hatteras 43 Double Cabin with low hour 671TIs for sale again in Chicago? (Elite Yacht Sales). The boat was inside dry stored for many years. Finally sold to a partnership. The partnership went belly up (like all of them do). Now the boat is for sale again. I have a friend flying up to see this boat on Tuesday. Anyone familiar with it? The good? The Bad? The Ugly? 350 original hours? Why has this one boat been such a market dud? It shouldn't be.

Re: Low hour 43 Hatteras in Chicago?

Been a while, PZD. I'll look at it, I don't need another boat but it's winter and I'm bored. lol

The photos are evidently of a similar boat, labeled "sistership". I have no idea what's going on here, but I think I'd ask for a set of photos of the actual vessel for sale, not of a similar model, and for them to certify to you in writing that the photos sent are the actual vessel for sale.

You might ask them why they posted photos of a sistership. There may be a good reason for it- like the vessel for sale being in storage or something of that kind. STill a bit odd if you ask me.

Yes Jim it has been a while since I last posted. I've been baby sitting a friends 57 Carver that has kept me busy over the past 2 years. I haven't done much 'shopping' for others lately, but I have noticed an increasing deterioration of older boats sold to buyers who can't afford to 'own' them'. It is so sad. I love the classic Hatteras and Chris Crafts.

A friend of mine is flying up to see this 43 Hatteras on Tuesday. (Few things aggravate me more than brokers who take incomplete cell phone photos for boat listings and then combine them with pictures taken 10 years ago). In the case of this particular boat, the most accurate recent pictures on the listing itself are of the salon depicting black outdoor furnishings inside. The rest are from the original listing in 2002.

I do know the boat was inside dry stored for more than a dozen years. (don't know why). She has been in The Great Lakes since new. The 350 original engine hours on her 671TIs are reported as accurate, and we believe the interior woods are unmolested. For some reason, this boat stayed on the market for at least 4 years before being sold to the current owners. We have high hopes that the original paint, engines, and hardware are good enough, so the boat can be brought back to original with only cosmetic and system maintenance expenditures. That will be the best case scenario. After a dozen years in storage, and 3 years of un-ownership, I'm sure there are leaky windows and maybe more wrong.

After being listed for more than 10 years, It was sold to a 'partnership' 3 years ago to owners who probably should never be allowed to own a center console. So we don't know what we will find. It could be a dog or a hidden gem. It's worth the $104 round trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago to find out.

PZD, you may be luckier than you have a right to be LOL. A lot of boats in the GL area are dry-stored in big indoor facilities in the winter- she may have spent years in there. If that's the case, she could be a real gem. I have seen some GL boats brought here to the CB area which were just beautiful- they looked almost new. Including metal boats- their season was only 5-6 months in FW, so they didn't age much. I'm very curious to see what you find on this one. I still don't get why their photos are of a sistership, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

The engines should be fine, more than likely. If they haven't been run in years, you just need MikeP and a couple of quarts of MMO and he'll have them purring.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

The engines should be fine, more than likely. If they haven't been run in years, you just need MikeP and a couple of quarts of MMO and he'll have them purring.
    MikeP??? Why, when Yachtsmanbill lives just up the road from there. He's the real boat McGyver.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Actually, MikeP is out of boating, unfortunately. MMO is still available. And, right, YW is local to you. I don't hear much from him so he's kind of off the radar screen.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Actually, MikeP is out of boating, unfortunately. MMO is still available. And, right, YW is local to you. I don't hear much from him so he's kind of off the radar screen.
    I think he was moderated off of here. Its too bad because he's a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Nah... just flying under the radar! I stop in when I hear about something stupid and need a laugh.

Is it a gas boat? Sounds like Eric J's old boat. Actually several up here. BTW... I will never tell ANYONE to buy a particular boat; I may tell them NOT TO BUY for obvious reasons. Im 3 hours north so its time and expenses. PM me if interested at www.flybridge.proboards.com or have SKY contact me. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-16-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

OK guys and gals, a knowledgeable friend of mine finally inspected the 1982 43 in Chicago yesterday. Drove his motor home 3 days from Miami. He said it was the worst boat he's ever seen. Not salvageable on any level. Belongs in a landfill.