Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ICW travel

ICW travel

Traveling the ICW from Wilmington to Charleston the next couple days. Weather to run outside doesn’t look favorable until Tue/Wed so Charleston to Savannah via ICW May come into play. Any input on areas of concern? 55c,4.5” draft, full tower. No real hurry but would like to be to Pompano Beach in a week

Re: ICW travel

Take a look at McClenlinville to Charleston Harbor if you end up inside there as well. I have not done in 4 years or so but if you draw 5’ or more and don’t want to sweat too much time the tide through there. Active Captain is very helpful with alerting you to trouble spots and which way is the deeper water, etc. Mr. Clarkson will probably chime in and his info will be better than mine. But I definitely would educate myself on that run and if you are going through the Rock pile behind Myrtle beach stay too the center and use the radio to communicate with oncoming traffic and try to get them too slow down and pass pretty close to the middle. I believe the cut is mostly rock so you get rock sticking out from the sides in some places. From Charleston to Savannah will have some trouble spots as well that active captain will tell you about but there is bad spot behind daufuskie that will get you and the spot right before the ICW enters the Savanah river. Do your homework and time the tides as best you can and you will be fine. Enjoy.
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 01-09-2020 at 10:53 PM.

AquaMaps has the Army Corps of Engineers surveys with the very latest data. You can also download Bob423’s routes which is what we did and found them very useful. Google 2019 ICW cruising guide by bob423 and bobs gpx routes which are available on his blog page.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

That pretty well sums it up. I prefer to transit the rock pike at low tide. This better defines the channel. There’s no depth issue there. High tide gives you a false sense of the navigable channel in traffic. A good option further south is ICW to Georgetown and out Winyah Bay direct to either Chas or Savannah, weather permitting. Doing mclellenanville and skinny water below IOP isn’t likely on the same tide with anything drawing 4 ft.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I’ll waive if I see you as we’ll be heading north out of Hilton Head Tuesday morning in a 46C.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I made it to barefoot landing in n Myrtle, little nerve racking in the rock pile area. No depth issues even with falling tide. Left Barefoot Landing marina at 0900, headed to Georgetown. Safe travels Freebird

Safe travels to you as well. Sent you a PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by strongFINish View Post
    I made it to barefoot landing in n Myrtle, little nerve racking in the rock pile area. No depth issues even with falling tide. Left Barefoot Landing marina at 0900, headed to Georgetown. Safe travels Freebird
    Prettiest part of the waterway below socastee. Again, depth no problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Prettiest part of the waterway below socastee. Again, depth no problem.
    I’ll tell you where it did get a little wonky was the waccanaw river bridge. The chart shows “obstruction 12ft” on the north side of span. In Garmins “route” mode it wanted me to pass under it a half dozen pilings to the west of the designated span. I’m not sure why that was but there was no height markers and I have a full tower so I wasn’t taking any chances. I’m not sure if the “obstruction 12ft” is what altered it or not. The ICW channel line was through the span so who knows

The wacamaw is the most beautiful stretch of the ditch!!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat