Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: RIB Cover Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Robert, Please keep us updated when you receive your cover. I have a 13-1/2' Zodiac needing a cover. Currently under a tarp since the old cover finally became too nasty. The old cover was a custom made setup from the PO which I'm sure cost him mucho but lasted 15yrs. Bob
    Be about a week. Roger Wilco
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Robert,
    Please keep us updated when you receive your cover. I have a 13-1/2' Zodiac needing a cover. Currently under a tarp since the old cover finally became too nasty. The old cover was a custom made setup from the PO which I'm sure cost him mucho but lasted 15yrs.

Bob
    The cover came in ahead of promised date. Seems very well made. But, it's going back tomorrow. Didn't fit very well at all despite specifying make model and year from their site. The return appears to be no hassle.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That was my experience with them too.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Sunbrella custom cover is the only way to go. $1000-1200. It will fit perfectly and last longer than anything else. I finally bit the bullet and have never looked back. And I'm as frugal as a blow boater!
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

I called my canvas guy in mid January to get a new Sunbrella cover made for our new Walker Bay RIB. He said no problem, it will about $1200 and I can start on it in mid March. Oh, the signs of a strong borderline over active economy...inflating prices and extended periods to deliver...but I digress. In desperation of an interum solution I came across a “semi-custom” cover by https://www.carvercovers.com/ made out of Sunbrella material. Rainbow of colors to select for your cover. Cost about $450 delivered. My expectations were extremely LOW, but I was surprised at how well it was stitched together. Very good craftsmanship and it also included all the rigging for straps and a storage bag. The cover fit so well, my canvas guy may have just lost out on an opportunity....
    Last edited by Hat52MY; 02-01-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    I called my canvas guy in mid January to get a new Sunbrella cover made for our new Walker Bay RIB. He said no problem, it will about $1200 and I can start on it in mid March. Oh, the signs of a strong borderline over active economy...inflating prices and extended periods to deliver...but I digress. In desperation of an interum solution I came across a “semi-custom” cover by https://www.carvercovers.com/ made out of Sunbrella material. Rainbow of colors to select for your cover. Cost about $450 delivered. My expectations were extremely LOW, but I was surprised at how well it was stitched together. Very good craftsmanship and it also included all the rigging for straps and a storage bag. The cover fit so well, my canvas guy may have just lost out on an opportunity....
    This is boatcoversdirect.com under another name. You’re right about the quality. Nevertheless, the fit on my RIB was not acceptable.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert,

Did you ever find a cover that was an acceptable fit? I'm looking for one for our 2005 AB, can't seem to find our model listed anywhere.

Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by HahnR View Post
    Robert,Did you ever find a cover that was an acceptable fit? I'm looking for one for our 2005 AB, can't seem to find our model listed anywhere.Thanks,Randy
    Yep, very happy. Took old one to canvas shop upstate. They cut it up for a pattern. They made new one for 50% of Charleston cost. I added some width to fully cover the tubes plus additional strap and tent pole. Heavier and no hint of coming off in high wind. Then took them my eiseglass and they redid an $8,000 bid at $2,250. Very pleased with quality plus follow up. And they completed the order, start to finish, in three days. So I’m going to be taking them cushions as well. When I couldn’t find headliner trim last year anywhere, I took a sample to them and they ran off 25’ then and there. Nice to do business with folks like that.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Wow, very nice job! Reasonable too. Looks like our local canvas guy is my best bet too then. I guess I was just hoping someone had a cover off the shelf for a reasonable cost. I should have known better...

Hard to believe what some of those people get for canvas work, especially isinglass