Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ADDING POWER STEERING TO Hynautic Hydraulic Steering System

Has anyone added power steering or power assist to their Hynautic hydraulic steering system?
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

Re: ADDING POWER STEERING TO Hynautic Hydraulic Steering System

Sort of.
    We added a Teleflex power steering system, but the helm was already from Kobelt.
    Hydraulic pump on the engine, power assist ram, different reservoir, a cooler, some additional lines, and you're good to go.
    There's lots of different ways to end up with power steering today, many are less complicated than what we did, depending on the application.

Bottom line is it's a really great upgrade.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Accusteer (owned by kobelt) makes a powersteering pump that senses helm movement and provides assist. I think it can also be controlled by an autopilot. Was about $2k from what I recall.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Question is ... why would you need power steering on a 43?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Question is ... why would you need power steering on a 43?
    Why not?
    Sorry couldn't help myself, have the 12volt Teleflex/Seastar electric assisit pump that senses helm output (probably similar to Accusteer) and then adds pressure to the rams on our center console which has twin 300hp outboards.
    I've scene the same set up on a few sportfish boats including the Good Grief, a Hatteras 46 repowered with CAT C15's. There may be photos here on the forum from their refurb'/repower.
    Teleflex/Seastar also has a higher end all electric hydraulic pump package that uses the same ram as the engine pump system that most of the bigger boats are now getting when built.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Thank you guys, Cricket your on the stick, I too have it my 31 Pursuit CC, boy once you use it ...its like candy. That is precisely the set up I am going to replicate with the same Sea Star power assist pump. However, I wanted to check here first.... prior to my endeavors. Thank you all for your input.

Best,
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

The boats I've seen with the DC power assist pump all had them mounted pretty close to the the ram, not sure there's a reason or not for the placement. On our CC the pump is right under the helm. My first thought is to keep the power wire as short as possible and to also make sure it's properly sized. Good luck with the project, let us know how it works out, think many are missing out on power steering benefits.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

You got it Cricket, will do.
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

Well, you guys have got me thinking.
    I would love power steering, I wonder how much I would spend by the time I'm actually finished with the project?
    It's always 200% more than you think....and Murphy was an optimist.....
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Steering efforts on 53 and 58 are pretty low so until you hit 60/65 why bother?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat