Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What weather to cross to Bimini?

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    What is the journey from BIM to Exumas like, how far? Anywhere to stop and anchor along the way if it is too far to make by dark? I believe we have the Bahamas Explorer charts on AquaMaps.
    I usually get some paper charts and start doing some SERIOUS armchair cruising before I enter a new area...... There are also numerous cruising guides which would make some good fireside reading before actually going there.

I suspect the Bahamian authorities, building on their rich British maritime history have put out an equivalent to our Coastal Pilot publications...

May even behove you to bring the chart plotter home, hook it up to a 12V supply and play around the new area, compare it to the paper.

Build a library, paper and virtual.....

Now is the time to see where the things that "go boom in the night" are. Familiarize yourself. Just getting directions or blindly following the line on the screen is dangerous business.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-05-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Since you have time and this is your first, I'd suggest a few days in BIM for your 1st stop. The only real "must see is Stewarts Conch Shack. There are plenty of other things at BIM but Nothing that can't be enjoyed at other Cays.

After BIM, take the north route to Great Harbour. It's a 75 mile run but at hull speed, it's a full day. After a few days there, go 20 miles south and do an anchor out at either a Soldier Cay or Devil/white Cay. You must experience Hoffmans Blue Hole. An experience you'll remembers the rest of your life. Next Morning head to Nassau. Pick a marina and top off with the cheapest diesel in the Bahamas.

Now turn your attention to the Exumas. I'll defer to Pascal from here on.

We thought we would start with the Berry’s and go on from there. Being novices we really don’t have any must see places in mind. We have planned on staying until late March so we have time to wander. Really we are looking for quiet anchorages and places we can kayak, swim a bit and lay on the beach on sunny days. At this point I really just want to get over there without any drama and take it from there.

As far as where to depart from, I have always wanted to go from FLL, but the Admiral was set on Biscayne. I think that having Pascal suggest FLL will tip the scales. The one thing we do not want to do is travel or arrive after dark if it can be avoided. That means getting the last of our spares on Monday, finishing the provisioning and returning the rental car and then heading down the New River to a marina for an early start Tuesday. Or leaving very early Tuesday before the bridges close for the morning commute. It looks like a six hour trip at hull speed from the inlet so we want to leave early to arrive before dark.
    If we get to Bimini around 3 or 4 will I have time to clear customs and immigration before they close? If not what do we do in the marina? Just stay onboard and wait until the morning? I suppose I am overthinking things, but, as I said it’s our first trip over and I want to get it done correctly.
    There is not much in the Barry's. Nice sheltered marina, but it's a good bit from town. Town is a bit rough as well. We stayed on Grand Bahama Island at Port Lucaya prior to the Barry's enroute to Nassau. Hurricane Hole in Nassau because I couldn't (wouldnt) afford Atlantis, but they are writhing a few hundred yards of each other. Spanish Wells on Eluthera was wonderful, but the Marina we stayed at on Abbaco, Mangoes, I'm told is NO longer there. Enjoy your trip!

You sound apprehensive about the trip and giving your admiral a positive experience. The Bahamas is a great experience but navigation is not as easy as all make it out to be especially for your first trip. Many places are not marked or even if they are the markers may be gone or in the wrong place. It takes time to learn how to read the water which is the way you need to navigate. You can’t depend solely on GPS or chart plotters. I would recommend for your first time over and until you get comfortable hiring an experienced captain who has local knowledge of where you want to go. You will be able to relax knowing you have someone experienced with you and you and your admiral can concentrate on having a good time. Someone familiar with the area can introduce you to places and things you might not find on your own.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If you are genuinely worried about the S.O.'s enjoyment consider a different time of year.

At this time of year it seems like the fronts come down just about every week so if you cross and intend to anchor out all the way to the Exumas, and only do 8 hours a day, I think you are asking for issues. At 9 knots you are looking at a loooongggg day to hit Great Harbour from Bimini. It took us just about 11 hours to run from Chub to Bimini at an average of 7.7 knots.
    I used passage weather when we crossed and also subscribed to Chris Parker. Our goal was a calm crossing and usually we met that goal. But never in the dead of Winter.
    Pay head to Pascal's mention that the windows are short and you don't get a day for things to settle down. When the wind clocks to the South there will still be swell out of the N.E. and that will create a washing machine ride in a confused sea. At least in a 43 Hatteras MY it did. It will certainly be a different game in a 63'er for sure.
    If you are looking for placid passage making be ready to spend TIME at any given stop you tie up at. I know experienced folks that were in an 80 footer that spent over a month at Spanish Wells waiting on weather. In Winter.
    I agree with Pascal recommending a departure from Lauderdale. In an MY it's no big deal to go across to Bimini. We always preferred crossing from West Palm to West End which is longer than Ft. L. to Bimini but we ran up from Lauderdale to W.E. a couple of times. Our goal was always the Abacos initially. I'd be very circumspect about cruising the Abacos for quite a while given the devastation.

Hopefully you have all of the chartography on a plotter and it is current.

Chub is expensive but it is protected. Not much there at all, I don't know if they have ever gotten it together. The Berry Island Club should not be considered for a large or any boat IMHO.
    Regards
    Dan

In winter you have slightly longer windows and slightly smoother crossing from FTL and MIA than WPB

If you spend the night at Cat Cay they charge you regular dockage. It a nice place, nice restaurant and bar. A good spot for your first landing in the Bahamas especially compared to the wreck that BIM has become.

If you leave Cat Cay in the morning, it s about 60nm to NW channel light. From there you can go to Chubb, straight to NAS. The NW Channel can be rough sometimes so if the weather is good skip chubb and go straight to NAS

Best marina in NAS is Bay Street Marina. Top service, great staff clean docks. MUCH better than Hurricane They are busy though. I don’t like Atlantis but it s a place you have to experience at least once... $5 a ft. Not that bad. Same as Chubb

Best fuel in NAS is Harbor Central. Bigger dock then hurricane and you don’t have to wait in the current forever. Same price. I think it s around $4.20 these days. Better than the $4.75 we just paid in the Exumas

You also have Nassau Harbor club, much cheaper dockage and right across from the shopping center with a pretty good supermarket (Solomon s Fresh Market). They have fuel too

After that... leave thru the east end and head SW to Paradise.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    You sound apprehensive about the trip and giving your admiral a positive experience. The Bahamas is a great experience but navigation is not as easy as all make it out to be especially for your first trip. Many places are not marked or even if they are the markers may be gone or in the wrong place. It takes time to learn how to read the water which is the way you need to navigate. You can’t depend solely on GPS or chart plotters. I would recommend for your first time over and until you get comfortable hiring an experienced captain who has local knowledge of where you want to go. You will be able to relax knowing you have someone experienced with you and you and your admiral can concentrate on having a good time. Someone familiar with the area can introduce you to places and things you might not find on your own.
    Indeed there are no ATONs in the Bahamas but you can read the water pretty easily. While you should never rely on GPS alone, in 12+ years of gunkholing in shallow water all over the Exumas I have never had an issue with Explorer charts available thru C-Map. They are amazingly accurate. Their recommended routes are spot on. They are also available in Aquamap for IOS.

Whatever you do, DO NOT RELY on Navionics especially their Sonar Charts. I could list dozens of examples where Navionics will run you aground...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    If you are genuinely worried about the S.O.'s enjoyment consider a different time of year.

At this time of year it seems like the fronts come down just about every week so if you cross and intend to anchor out all the way to the Exumas, and only do 8 hours a day, I think you are asking for issues. At 9 knots you are looking at a loooongggg day to hit Great Harbour from Bimini. It took us just about 11 hours to run from Chub to Bimini at an average of 7.7 knots.
    I used passage weather when we crossed and also subscribed to Chris Parker. Our goal was a calm crossing and usually we met that goal. But never in the dead of Winter.
    Pay head to Pascal's mention that the windows are short and you don't get a day for things to settle down. When the wind clocks to the South there will still be swell out of the N.E. and that will create a washing machine ride in a confused sea. At least in a 43 Hatteras MY it did. It will certainly be a different game in a 63'er for sure.
    If you are looking for placid passage making be ready to spend TIME at any given stop you tie up at. I know experienced folks that were in an 80 footer that spent over a month at Spanish Wells waiting on weather. In Winter.
    I agree with Pascal recommending a departure from Lauderdale. In an MY it's no big deal to go across to Bimini. We always preferred crossing from West Palm to West End which is longer than Ft. L. to Bimini but we ran up from Lauderdale to W.E. a couple of times. Our goal was always the Abacos initially. I'd be very circumspect about cruising the Abacos for quite a while given the devastation.

Hopefully you have all of the chartography on a plotter and it is current.

Chub is expensive but it is protected. Not much there at all, I don't know if they have ever gotten it together. The Berry Island Club should not be considered for a large or any boat IMHO.
    Yes May and June are probably the best weather months. Winter and spring fronts have quit dipping into the south and although you could see a hurricane form the season doesn’t really heat up until mid August. If it gets sloppy crank it up these Hatts were not designed to shlep along at hull speed. They’re more stable and handle better on a plane. Again DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON CHART PLOTTERS AND GPS you need to use your eyeballs! Do not try to run in low light conditions. Days are short now you have to factor that in.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have a lot to work with now. Unfortunately, I rode in an Uber car a few days ago with a coughing driver and seem to have come down with some sort of a bug. Feeling pretty poorly today and am going to stay aboard until I feel better, but that will give me time for route planning incorporating all your helpful suggestions. We still plan on waiting for the next window after the coming weekend and will keep you all informed as to how things go. I also need to figure out what belts I need for the engine spares kit and a few other things. I want to be as self-sufficient as possible.
    While we do like to run at hull speed for economy we also know that she rides better up on plane when the seas pick up and have no issues doing that. We also accept that the limited daylight in winter will necessitate higher speeds as well. The money we burn in fuel will hopefully be somewhat offset by the savings from anchoring as opposed to marina fees wherever possible. I have confidence in our ground tackle: 55kg Rocna Vulcan with 200’ of chain.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

55kg Rocna Vulcan with 200’ of chain.
    200' of chain is GOOD!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay